Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaving (not wood)

Shaving (not wood)

Anybody go from the multi-blade razors back to less complex, less expensive blades? I am thinking about getting a nice double edge razor and getting rid of my Gillette Sensor as I'm tired of buying the fancy replacement blades. I don't want to spend the money, however, if I'm going to see a remarkable drop in performance, i.e. more irritation. I have no desire for electric so no need to suggest that.

While on the subject: what do you prefer in shaving creams/gels?
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 06-04-2015 at 7:37 AM. Reason: corrected current razor

We have some straight razor users here who sparked my interest in it .Makes shaving a hobby! If you appreciate nuances of quality it might be for you. The modern shave gels are interesting in that they seem to be made for the modern coated multi blades only; some of them will almost instantly rust a straight razor.

Yes those cartridges are expensive but you can use one for a month; I do, I dry them with the hair dryer, so @ $4 each that is only $1 a week. I have not seen double edge blades for some time.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I use a Dovo straight razor, and I love it, but it does require an investment: razor, strop, stones, badger hair brush, and soap. Since I already had the stones and strop, it was a painless transition. If I didn't have all that, I'd go to the old double-edge razor like you mention. My friend uses one and uses a Dovo straight razor, and he said really there is minimal difference between the two, which I have heard from others as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Anybody go from the multi-blade razors back to less complex, less expensive blades? I am thinking about getting a nice double edge razor and getting rid of my Gillette Mach 3 or whatever the model is as I'm tired of buying the fancy replacement blades. I don't want to spend the money, however, if I'm going to see a remarkable drop in performance, i.e. more irritation. I have no desire for electric so no need to suggest that.
    I bailed out of the multi-blade wars years ago and committed to shaving with a straight razor. I still think about picking up a DE razor. I can't say that I saved any money with the SR, however, because it became somewhat of a hobby. First, I assembled my "starter kit": razor, strop, brush, mug, shave soap/cream, etc. They were all at the lower end of the cost scale, in case I didn't stick with it. Then I graduated to the "good stuff": a nice, limited edition razor; a premium badger brush; a latigo/linen strop; hand-thrown shaving scuttle; and more soaps/creams/balms/etc.

Whichever way you go, you may experience some irritation until you develop a technique that works for your face. Most adherents practice a multi-pass technique and until you get a feel for it, razor burn isn't uncommon.

While on the subject: what do you prefer in shaving creams/gels?
    I typically use a cake soap, re-milled into my mug and my favorites tend to contain tallow and/or wool fat. My current daily shave soap is "Marlborough" from D.R. Harris. My wife gifted me a 3-cake pack from Edwin Jaeger that was pretty nice. I also like Tabac.

I mostly use creams when I travel and then it's usually a Truefitt & Hill product because I can find it locally.

Regarding other brands:

You may find Col. Ichabod Conk products in your locale, which are just okay IMO. You may also find Art of Shaving products which I think are much better for a start. Proraso has been around for going on a century and is generally well-regarded in wet shaving forums.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Twice,at least , I bought a razor and cartridges only to have them change the design . Not going to be forced to buy new razors to accommodate cartridge changes designed to sell new razor.

Blog Entries
    I have been ordering my blades fro a company called Harry's. I can make one blade last about 2 months (I shave 6 days a week too). I get those for about $2 a blade so that cost about $12 a year. To me I get a better, closer shave than I ever did with Gillette Fusion Trac II or what ever it is called. I also started using shave cream out of a tube rather than a pressurized can. I use a brand called Creamo Cream which I get a Wal-Mart for about $5 - $6 a tube and that lasts maybe 4-5 months. It takes a little getting used to, it goes on kinda like Desiton (the white stuff you put on a baby's butt for diaper rash) and it really lubricates the skin when mixed with water. So that's about $15 - $18 a year. Thirty bucks a years for shaving seems pretty reasonable to me.
    Harrys.com Check them out.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Twice,at least , I bought a razor and cartridges only to have them change the design . Not going to be forced to buy new razors to accommodate cartridge changes designed to sell new razor.
    I think for the most part, Gillette give away the handle, they make their money selling blades. At least twice I have received a razor handle and 1 blade in the mail from them. It worked too, I started buying their blades. That was several years ago though. (See my previous post)
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I buy the triple blades on sale when I see them. You gotta spend big to save, but it works out in the end.

I don't use any type of shaving cream or Gel. I Never got into the habit of using it when I was young, and it was just one more thing to pack in my sea bag, and try to find room for on a Sub.
    I watched guys in the Navy try out single edge, and double edged razors. Didn't look like it was my cuppa'.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I use Neutrogena Shave Cream. This is more like a very light cream/lotion, no lather at all, and it take less that a dime-sized dollop so it lasts a long time. I used to shave every day until one day my face started becoming maddenly irritated from it. Now I shave M,W,F and use this cream and its happy again. I use Gillette twin-blades and buy in bulk (usually off eBay) to save. I think I have enough refills to last the next 2-3 years.

I've seen the ads from Harry's...always wondered about them. Thanks for the review, Larry.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

When I shave with a razor I just use bar soap and hot water. Those gels / creams never really gave me any benefit and I still had to wash my face after to clean that crap off. Now its just a quick rinse with cold water and I'm done. I thin the multi-blade razors are the way to go though, I would hate to return to my shaving roots with the old double edge monster but I see Rick from Pawn Stars is now selling double edge razors on TV commercials for keeping his chrome dome shaved

A double edge razor takes a little getting used to and becomes an interesting hobby. I did it for about 6 months then my life became complicated and I simplified my shaving. Plus, I cannot stand razor snobs. Those guys spend more money on a razor than I make in a week. It just drives me nuts. It doesn't bother me that I don't have that kind of money, it is the fact that if you don't have a $600 razor then you might as well not have been born. I found the shaving forums attitude a lot more like this than the WW boards are. Kind of like bragging about how much money you can waste. I posted a pic of a shaving brush I made and some guy made fun of it saying the handle was just right to really dig down into a shaving mug and I had purposely put a short handle on it for a shaving bowl.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I went from a Mach3 to a vintage Gillette I got on ebay in December of 2013. I am still using the feather blades I bought to go with it. I love it. My wife also got one to replace her Venus razor.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I have been ordering my blades fro a company called Harry's. ...
    Harrys.com Check them out.
    I tried Harry's about a year ago and switched. Have been using them since. The company bought a blade factory in Germany with the belief that razor blades are far more expensive than they need to be. They are about half the price and as good or better. I probably go about two months as well on a blade.

Doug

Shaving -- God's way of telling you to wear a beard.