Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big lumber storage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I will be very limited stacking vertically.
    My shed will only have 8 ft walls and a very shallow gable roof.
    I picked up 2 sets of the Triton Woodrack Storage System WRA001 from a local guy for $25 each

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-Woodrack-Storage-System-WRA001/dp/B002QRYFCY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433470681&sr=8-2&keywords=triton+wood+rack

I have only planned out a 10 ft long by 8 ft high section for storage.
    I am sure once I get the shed and start setting things in place that I may find other areas that will also store wood.
    Steve that link shows the product is only $50, but $147 shipping? I found this as a suggested item and its only $60 total: http://www.amazon.com/Storage-Portam...884JDDHF4FWSFQ

This is my lumber rack, which is currently located in a 16x20 shed. It's 5' wide, 9' tall and 12' long, but can hold longer pieces. There's a lot of junk stored on and around it, but completely full, I would estimate it will hold in excess of 5000 board feet. It will certainly support the weight. It's made out of standard 2x6 lumber and 1-1/2" EMT conduit. I drilled all the holes with a hole saw and simply slid the 5' sections of conduit through the holes. Nothing holding them in but the weight of the lumber. It's been there for 6 years so far and I have not noticed any deflection of the conduit. I got the idea from a 'shop tip' in a special issue of Fine Woodworking (201 Tips for Woodworkers, or something with a similar title). The original shop tip called for 3/4" or 1" black iron pipe but I figured that 1-1/2" EMT had a substantial stiffness to it. I will probably build a smaller version in my new shop or move this one. It also works as heavy duty shelving simply by laying one or two boards on the conduit and stacking all your crap on the boards.

IMG_2497.jpg IMG_2499.jpg IMG_2501.jpg
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

My shop is in my basement which is currently unfinished. I used to pile and sticker my lumber off the floor which was too much of a mess so I repurposed the space under the steps for lumber storage. Pictures of the rack in the original thread.