Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finished walnut live edge table

Finished walnut live edge table

Here are some images of the process of making the table.
    I decided to go with angled legs, mostly because of the estetic looks.
    I have to say its been a lot more tricky then i expected, because i didnt had marging gauges and other measuring tools needed for easier job. And when you work with live edge nothing is straight so you have to improvise sometimes.

1.JPG
    First i straightened the the endgrain so i can have eaiser job measuring the angle.
    2.jpg
    Because i dont have angle metter or should i say i visited 3 shops for tools and non of them had angle metter , i had to use a standard angle meter. So the angle is unknown but its the same on bot legs.

3.JPG
    This is my third time to do a mortise and tenon. And it was scary to work with this size, especialy with the saws i have in disposal xd.

4.JPG
    Marking the tenons
    5.JPG
    Cutting the tenons with a 2$ saw. This was the most stresefull process.
    For the tenons to be 90 degrees to the top i used the 90 degree meter. U can see the 2 vertical pencil lines.
    6.JPG
    Ofcourse it wasnt everything perfect, so i had to make little adjustments with a chisel. I wish i had a shoulder plane.
    7.jpg
    For the mortise i used a hand drill. I try to avoid using chisels as much as posible because of the echo it creates the whole house is shaking.
    8.jpg
    The hardest part was done, and i could continue with little pressure.
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 06-04-2015 at 2:06 PM.

Very nice! Keep us posted on the progress.
    Maurice

9.jpg
    The fitting of the legs is tight, I have to put pressure and moving left to right to fit. What i didnt pay attentions was the depth of the mortise wic his about 2 millimiters deeper.
    10.jpg
    With a hand drill i made holes for the middle leg. This was the best way, so i could hold the drill horizontally eyeballing.
    12.JPG
    Adjusting the legs with a hand plane to be parallel. The tenons were tight enough so i can plane it directly.
    11.JPG
    13.jpg
    14.jpg
    I decided to go for pegs for the mid leg because i got enought of mortising . This part for the middle leg was also tricky then i was expecting.
    15.JPG
    One of the tenons was slighty of (about 1 cm) but it didnt make problems.
    16.JPG
    After the stressfull parts were finished, it was time to enjoy planing the board.
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 06-04-2015 at 2:02 PM.

Well done Mark! Someone posted it doesn't matter what the angle is or thickness..as long as it's consistent. Something I live by. Love to improvise. Please keep posting your progress.
    Phil

17.JPG
    18.JPG

This smoother plane i got it from Portugal last summer while volunteering. The owner didnt know what is it for and he gave it to me. It was in pretty bad shape and looks like its been used a lot. I added a beech sole sharpened the blade and few minor adjustments you have a good smoothing plane.

20.JPG

19.JPG
    Nice combo with the 3 leg stool.

22.JPG
    21.jpg
    i will ad 2 pegs per leg at the bottom so it has less chance to shake on different grounds.
    23.JPG
    I have to say it was big experience. Maybe i entered to this project with big respect and i was a little bit stressed of how the final look will come. Mostly because its walnut and i had luck to get it for low price. Oportunities like this dont come everyday.

Nothing is glued so far so before i polish the table should i glue everything? Or leave only the mid leg with the pegs unglued?
    Also there are 2 big knots at the ends. Is it a good idea to leave it like that or fill the gaps with something?
    Last edited by Mark Almeidus; 06-04-2015 at 2:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Cool! Nice work Mark.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thanks guys

Mark, really well done. Very nice looking table.
    I'm a bit of a beginner, but if I'm going to stain, I do that before the glue up being sure to cover the areas to be glued with tape. If not staining, I glue first then finish.
    Not sure about the knot...I'm sure someone with more experience will be along.
    Phil

That is a very nice looking table. You should be pleased with your work. The stool does go well with it.
    Jim

Wow! Very nicely done - both the table and the build along photography. Well Done!

Thanks all. Hope someone will find some usefull tricks . I couldnt find any video showing how to make it, thats why i posted images. And the guys from the forum helped alot with ideas.
    Will leave the table like that for a while while i am sure what to do with the knots.

Blog Entries
    Mark,

You do nice work.

How did you get the wood? Did you harvest it your self?

Very nice job!

I bought it from woodworker. Its been airdried for 15 years. He got few pieces left which were in bad shape with cracks.

great work!