Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finished walnut live edge table

Knocked this one out of the park, Mark. Definitely inspiring. Thanks for sharing the build and thoughts, too!

Great work. Don't worry about the knots; it gives the table some character and interest. The table looks perfect in this setting, including the furry object laying on the floor.
    One question; did you/will you use any type of finish?

Impressive work! I really like it!

Thanks guys.
    I will definitely use finish, mate or probably semiglossy. I am still in decision should I glue the legs with the top before i use any finish, or leave it unglued so it can be used as portable table .

Excellent job Mark-beautiful table. Personally I might leave it all unglued for now and see how it goes. If you realy want to fill the cracks a common method is to use an epoxy colored black. If the cracks go all the way through just cover the bottom with tape so the epoxy does not run out. I like it the way it is myself.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

Question for ya, Mark.

How do you go about shaping the live edge and preparing it for finish?

I have a bunch of slabs drying from a tree I cut down this spring and have left all the bark on the edges. I did so in anticipation of making at least a couple of the boards into live edge sides for a table but I'm not sure what the best method is to go from untouched, bark-covered edge to a smooth-but-still-has-some-character live edge. I was thinking of using a drawknife to strip all the bark off and then lightly sanding the edge so that I would smooth it a little without removing too much of the shape but I haven't done it before and haven't been able to find a tutorial on it.

Thanks!

Hi Matthew,
    The slabs I have got were without the bark. They had just a little sapwood left which i took it out with drawknife, in some places with spokeshave and sandpaper. This was my first time working with liveedge slabs, so I am in the same boat like you in this regard.. I also couldnt find any indepth tutorial about this. What someone suggested is to remove the bark first, clean carefully and remove the sapwood, and then glue the bark back with epoxy or something. There is someone on this forum who for sure knows better about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Almeidus View Post
    Hi Matthew,
    The slabs I have got were without the bark. They had just a little sapwood left which i took it out with drawknife, in some places with spokeshave and sandpaper. This was my first time working with liveedge slabs, so I am in the same boat like you in this regard.. I also couldnt find any indepth tutorial about this. What someone suggested is to remove the bark first, clean carefully and remove the sapwood, and then glue the bark back with epoxy or something. There is someone on this forum who for sure knows better about this.
    Well until I see anything otherwise it sounds like the drawknife, spokeshave, and sandpaper are going to be the tools to use. I am planning on making the edge look similar to what you have done with yours so I'm glad to hear your method.

Hi Mark Nice going, it looks great.

A thought on the smoothing plane. It's showing what look like worm holes. Maybe it's been treated, but if not definitely best to do so. It's reputedly possible (i've never put it to the test) to end up infecting the timbers in an otherwise woodworm free house...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hutchinson477 View Post
    Well until I see anything otherwise it sounds like the drawknife, spokeshave, and sandpaper are going to be the tools to use. I am planning on making the edge look similar to what you have done with yours so I'm glad to hear your method.
    I also have ashe wich had bark in it. And to remove I also used flat screwdriver and in some places a chisel and tap with hammer gently. Inch by inch I managed to get about 70 cm of untouched bark at once. But the sledge was about 5 years dried so i guess its easier to remove the bark when the sledge is dried. Also depends in which season the sledge was cut.
    For the walnut sledge it was pretty easy. Actually you can see on one of the images where the table is complete, the side of the table is dark, thats how it was when i picked it. There I used only drawknife and spokeshave. Maybe i removed a little of the wood but i tried to keep the natural shape.
    Here is a youtube video of removing the bark i just found.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-H0dLIb-I
    On the ashe sledge i used similar method.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Hi Mark Nice going, it looks great.

A thought on the smoothing plane. It's showing what look like worm holes. Maybe it's been treated, but if not definitely best to do so. It's reputedly possible (i've never put it to the test) to end up infecting the timbers in an otherwise woodworm free house...
    Ian, I have been searching the internet about wood warms but all the info is using some chemicals which I cant find in my town or country. Other method is heating the wood, but i am unable to do that method either.
    Would be nice if anyone knows any alternative method for that. I asked a neighbour, he said mixing wood glue and sawdust and fill the holes will make the deal. But I am sceptical about that .

Hi Mark. A quick google just now brought up this page: http://www.woodworm-expert-advice-fo...onchemical.htm

If it's correct it seems like about 8 hrs at 65 deg C should kill off anything live in the wood. (bottom of page)

From what I can figure that's around the minimum oven temperature setting on Euro cookers. Maybe not all. Might this be an option? Maybe check the temperature with a thermometer as the temperature control in cookers can be very approximate...

Anybody else know more?

Quote Originally Posted by ian maybury View Post
    Hi Mark. A quick google just now brought up this page: http://www.woodworm-expert-advice-fo...onchemical.htm

If it's correct it seems like about 8 hrs at 65 deg C should kill off anything live in the wood. (bottom of page)

From what I can figure that's around the minimum oven temperature setting on Euro cookers. Maybe not all. Might this be an option? Maybe check the temperature with a thermometer as the temperature control in cookers can be very approximate...

Anybody else know more?
    Ian, for that amount of 8 hours it could also kill me when my granddad sees the electricity bill next month xd.
    I also heard you can do 2 hours at 250 or 200 degree, but it is possible to bend or crack the wood.
    Well if I cant find other options, I ll try that techigue, but you will have to explain grandpa when the bill knocks the door .