Thread: Cracks in Big Leaf Maple Slab

Cracks in Big Leaf Maple Slab

I have a 5' long slab of kiln dried figured Pacific Maple that I am using to make a coffee table. There is a 3 " end check on one end that is only visible on the bottom of the slab, about 3/4" deep in a 1 1/2 inch thick board. I didn't notice it when I was sizing the length because was on the bottom of the board. I thought I had cut it all off.

I know it is small and that I could fill it with epoxy, but is it likely to continue, and even worse likely to open up on the top?

It seems small for a bow tie. Should I do anything about it or just let it go?Crack in Slab.jpg
    There is also a large crack in theCracked Crotchwood.jpg crotch wood that is also only visible from the bottom. For most of its length is no more than 3/16" wide at its widest and about 1/2" deep but there is a 6 " hairline crack along the length of the crack toward the edge where the crack is deep and wide that I can feel if not see on the top of the slab. Is this going to need to be stabilized? If so how? ( Ignore the hutch if it is there. In the preview there is a thumbnail that I didn't intend to inlcude but I can't get rid of it. It doesn't show in this window)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I suspect that as time goes on the crack(s) may grow. Epoxy woul be a good fix and a good filler, but I also think if Nexabond 2500 wood glue would be a good alternative, that is providing you can squeeze the crack closed (without extreme pressure). The Nexabond would seep into the crack & basicaly leave no, or very little telltale glue line. I wouldn't use it as a filler though.

If the crack requires a lot of pressure to close, I would consider a filler such as the epoxy instead of Nexabond 2500. I have used the Nexabond 2500 instant glue & so far it has worked well as an instant glue and it is strong.
    Last edited by Al Launier; 06-05-2015 at 6:39 AM.

Hi Jan, I've made several slab tables with Western and big leaf maple and a bowtie then epoxy would be the best idea. I have all the stuff to make and inlay them. Epoxy too. I live in Edmonds so give me a PM if you need any help. John Bush.

I'd appreciate your help but I don't know what a PM is. Is there a way I can contact you through Sawmill Creek?

Jan,

Click John's name and a window will pop up. Select 'Private Message' (PM).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.