Thread: tall cabinet and shelving

tall cabinet and shelving

Have a job wanting a lower cabinet and then shelves above to sit along fireplace between fireplace and wall on one side and fireplace and open to the room on the other. Shelves are plywood panels with 2" face frame. I'm thinking I want to build/install the face frame on site to get a good fit. So, nail and glue? Miter corners? Best way to attach the whole thing to the wall (it will sit on or be attached to the lower unit as well)? Lower cabinet is about 24" high and 26 wide. Upper shelving goes to the ceiling making it about 88" high.

Thanks for all the expert advice!

If you're going to paint this unit, then nails and glue are fine. No need to miter corners (where are you considering miters? If you're running a crown or something, then yes, miter. But face frame, not typically called for.)

Attachment: I usually include a "hanger strip" (+/- 3/4 x 2 1/2) inside the cabinet, and screw through that into the studs. Or, sometimes, I use a 1/2" back panel--no hanger strips-- and screw through that.

General assembly: My SOP for a built-in between two fixed walls (or between a FP and wall, as you are doing) is to attach the FF to the carcase in the shop, but make one stile "knock-down" and over-width. The unit gets installed, then the KD stile gets scribed in and attached. Trim molding (crown) applied at ceiling.

Good stuff Jerry! The hanger strip inside the shelving is going to show or did you just mean that for the lower unit. I though about 1/2 inch backing for the shelving but it's already pretty big and heavy. Any way to have the open shelving attachment to the walls be better hidden?

Thanks!!

if you use 1/4 ply for the back, you can put the hanger strip behind the back panel. Some prefer this. Cleaner look, but less interior space.