Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0766 Video - Motor Noise

Grizzly G0766 Video - Motor Noise

While running it through it's paces I wouldn't call this a whisper quiet motor. Getting quite a bit of whine and what sounds like possible bearing rattle. I'm on the lower setting, stopping about every 100rpm, everything you hear is coming from the motor, there is no other background noise other than the VFD fan.

How does this compare to yours?
    https://vimeo.com/129988889

Last edited by James Conrad; 06-06-2015 at 6:22 PM.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

2. I think you are hearing the inverter/fan,........... and you likely need to check to see if your belt is lining up and your pulleys are tight on the shafts with the grub screws.........sounds more like something is rubbing on the casting somewhere than a bearing to me.........

You have an inverter fan and the fan that cools the motor...........perhaps you should send this to Grizzly tech support and let them verify the issues for you, but I would check the things I mentioned. Mine does not have that rubbing sound at all, but I do have the inverter sound and the fan on the motor.

We had our monthly meeting this morning at one of my clubs and the demo was done on a 3520b......my lathe is as quiet as that 3520b this morning. To me it sounds like perhaps the pulleys are a bit lose on the shaft of the spindle or motor, but I cannot say that for sure from listening to your video.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I would call that an unacceptably loud whisper.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I don't have the new 766 but recently purchased a new Laguna 2436. It appears to have the same 3 hp motor and vfd drive as the 766. Other than the vfd fan, my motor is whisper quiet with none of the grinding noise I heard in your video. Something is not right.

5. Did you use your cell phone to make that video, James? From your position to the left of the head stock, that microphone is picking up every bit of decibles that lathe is putting out........from the video, it looks like you were holding the camera directly over top of the motor........and next to the handwheel.......with all that is going on, for me at least it is hard to distinquish the actual source of the noise, but the clicking and some rubbing sounds make me suspect the pulleys are not locked down tight or the pulleys are rubbing on the casting or perhaps the rpm sensor/bracket.

IMO, not likely a bearing, but it might be possible that a new bearing is bad from the factory......it would be unusual, however. The original bearings that were in my G0698 were still there after 5 years of pretty heavy usage, and were still running like new when I sold the lathe.

James - I have not been following the G0766 adventure threads - so this is the first time I have heard the new lathe. My first thought is to take the belt off the motor and run everything through the same paces to see if you are getting the same sounds/noises. Personally, this sounds pretty loud to me and I have a Jet 1642 EVS2 and a Robust AB which both use a vfd drive.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

My GO 698 is MUCH quieter than that. Different motor, different VFD. I do hear a noise like one of yours when the drive belt tension is to high or low. Like Roger, I think I also hear a metal on metal scraping, like a casting rubbing. I like Steve's idea of doing it again without the drive belt. You have a year, but I'd report it to Grizzly now and see what they say.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Pullies are tight, the audio noise level in the video is accurate to what you hear standing in front of the lathe. Same noises without the belt attached, the rattle noises are coming from the fan end of the motor. The whine is quite loud and the noise steps up at about 200 rpm.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

James: I don`t have mine yet but years of automotive and motorcycle building tells me that sounds like a bearing or perhaps a pulley rubbing to me. I would Definitely call Grizzly.
    Last edited by Dok Yager; 06-07-2015 at 8:53 AM.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

10. Steve's idea to check it without the belt is a good one, glad you did that..........that noise or rattling at the fan end of the motor might mean you need to take the fan cover off and see if that screw holding the fan in place is tight.....it could account for some of that noise if it is loose and allowing the fan to rattle on the screw and rubbing on the shaft at the same time.......try that James.

Still contact Grizzly and let them know things were not buttoned up like they should have been.......if you find the bearing is bad, then have them send replacements, or better yet have them send a service guy if they will and fix this thing!

I believe once you get the little quirks out, you will have a great unit.........at least from what I see with mine, I believe it to be a good machine..........just some loose screws and such. Too bad one cannot tell if a bearing is bad by looking at it, but must hear it run to make sure it is good........could happen to anyone, unfortunately you on this occasion, if it is the bearing...

That high pitch whine sounds as bad as some non inverter duty 3 phase motors when hooked up to a VFD .
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    James - I have not been following the G0766 adventure threads - so this is the first time I have heard the new lathe. My first thought is to take the belt off the motor and run everything through the same paces to see if you are getting the same sounds/noises. Personally, this sounds pretty loud to me and I have a Jet 1642 EVS2 and a Robust AB which both use a vfd drive.
    Agree with Steve. I would suggest putting the end of a scrap piece of wood about 18" long against the motor in the area that seats the bearing. Place the other end against your ear canal. Many old car mechanics could tell a lot about the problems in an engine this way. Sounds like something is amiss in there?
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    Agree with Steve. I would suggest putting the end of a scrap piece of wood about 18" long against the motor in the area that seats the bearing. Place the other end against your ear canal. Many old car mechanics could tell a lot about the problems in an engine this way. Sounds like something is amiss in there?
    Isn't that usually a long screw driver against what is suspected of making the noise and the end of the handle against your ear?
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Myers View Post
    Isn't that usually a long screw driver against what is suspected of making the noise and the end of the handle against your ear?
    I stated they were "old mechanics" so the screwdriver got too short , nice long stick with good resonance??
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks guys. I've put my list of issues together with documentation and sent it off to Grizzly tonight. These include the shipping paint scratches, tool rest height, the first thread of the inboard side of the spindle was damaged and needs a die to be run down it, and of course the motor issues. I'm hoping for a speedy resolution.

The bearing noise is coming from just inside the end of the housing, not the fan, checked that. As much as I don't want it to be true I think its a bad motor, but I'll wait to discuss with tech support. Definitely find the whine unacceptable.
    Last edited by James Conrad; 06-06-2015 at 9:17 PM.