Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grounding The Dust Collection Piping

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    As stated earlier, there have been no documented cases of fires cases by DC piping in hobby shops. Just a myth, that was busted it sounds.
    Yep...

Howsomever..........if one insisted on doing it - the static from the dust/shavings traveling thru the PVC creates the electricity. So - you run bare copper wire inside the piping - exit at both ends thu a small hole, and attach it to something grounded.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Yep...

Howsomever..........if one insisted on doing it - the static from the dust/shavings traveling thru the PVC creates the electricity. So - you run bare copper wire inside the piping - exit at both ends thu a small hole, and attach it to something grounded.
    I tried that several years ago and found the tendency of the wire causing clogs wasn't worth it. I spent far more time cleaning than I cared to.

I was a firefighter for over 30 years, I can tell you from first hand experience grounding a home shop dust collection system is not necessary from a fire safety standpoint.

Blog Entries
    The safety issue is not about a dust explosion in a small shop, that has been beat to death . Give it up. BUT is not a large static discharge to one of your body parts while having other body parts in close proximity to a spinning cutting tool not a safety hazard that needs to be dealt with? I dealt with it by using steel duct and grounding the wire in the hose to the duct. Never been zapped. I don't understand why folks keep on recommending and using a material that can be as dangerous a leaving a guard off your blade. Probably never going to be a problem, but why risk it?
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 06-07-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    NOW you tell me...

If it is troublesome to any user, the static charge that is created in PVC ducts can easily be dissipated by running a strip of metallic HVAC tape or stranded wire down the length of the outside of each run and connecting a small copper wire from a small screw through it to the coil wire in any flex connections or around blast gates and ultimately to a known ground. As Bill mentioned above, a wire inside the duct just creates clogging, so it should be avoided. Static charge build up is directly proportional to humidity and is more prevalent in dry climates. I use both 4" and 6" S&D and don't bother with the method I just cited (I did have it once and know it works, but it hinders mods to ductwork layouts) and my humidity is high enough most of the year that static is a non issue. I do not consider the small amount of static that I have encountered to be a safety issue. I have a CV1800, so there is plenty of airflow.

Blog Entries
    As mentioned if you want to be persnikkity; you are providing a path to ground for the charge inside the duct ;-) I spent about $14 on some insulated, stranded 14 gauge wire. Wrapped it about once per foot along the ducting. Grounded at one end to the electrical ground of the DC. The other end is actually clipped to a section of foil tape stuck to the concrete floor. All you are doing is providing a path to ground that is more attractive than you are. I do connect the wire to the helix in my hoses that run to my sanders (a major static producer) via a tail with an alligator clip on it. I don't have any shocks but, even when I did it was incidental. I think I did it more to keep dust from accumulating on the outside of the hose and duct than anything else.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have read all the posts, a blog or 2 and watch a few videos.
    Yes, by doing this, all I am doing is giving the static electricity somewhere to go instead of shocking me.
    Which here in good old humid Florida would probably far and few between.
    But, it is a cheap project. So why not. I would rather do this for about $20, than be the first to prove the Myth Buster wrong and wish I had.
    I see nothing wrong with being cautious. Besides , it looks cool
    Last edited by Steve Kinnaird; 06-07-2015 at 4:14 PM.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……