Thread: Scored Marbled Hard Maple

Scored Marbled Hard Maple

Tree was just sawed down and our turning club volunteered to haul away the trunk and large limbs. Beautiful dark heartwood. The scar running up the trunk went up one of the large limbs into the top of the tree. When we crosscut the logs some of that scar penetrated all the way to th pith. Sure looks like a lightning strike? We harvested about 80 blanks and are rough turning them at the club shop. The saw in the picture has a 25" blade on it so there will be a couple 20" bowls from the base of the trunk.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

No idea about the lightning strike but that wood is going to make for some beautiful turnings! Looking forward to seeing some bowls or whatever you decide to turn! Beautiful stuff! Congrats!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I love that type of coloring. Trees that have it are stressed, and generally on their way out. Some times they even smell sour, which some times goes away, and some times doesn't. Nice score!

robo hippy

Wow, that is a great find. Agree with Steve, can't wait to see the finished turnings.

Wow. This is great wood. Fantastic colors.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Looks like a lightning strike. Watch for ring shake. Had that problem in a soft maple that was struck. Beautiful wood.

I believe your tree is a Crimson King, a member of the Norway maple family. Though considered a soft maple, any I have turned has been harder than Silver maple, the variety that most often yields ambrosia marking. The wood is very tight grained, has a good deal of curl and wave in the grain and makes beautiful turnings. Normally, it is light in color and lends itself to carving. The dark heartwood in your pictures makes me think you have a real prize. We don't find a lot of Norway maple in the cutters yards because it is such a hearty tree. Great find. I can't wait to see the finished products.

Couldn't resist and turned this piece wet. About 8 x 8" and from 3/16" to 1/4" thick little cracking near the pith I turned away, but solid about 1 1/2" from center. Super glued the rim, but doubt it it will stay. It was moderately wet.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Great score Bob. Beautiful wood! That is going to make some amazing pieces.
    Last edited by Dok Yager; 06-07-2015 at 6:35 PM.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.