Thread: Oak box

Oak box

Heres small little White oak box i made for fun.I thought i came out really nice so i thought i would share it.Ive been working with hickory for few months now so i took abreak last weekend and made this box.What surprised me was how hard the oak was compared to Hickory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 06-07-2015 at 6:34 PM. Reason: Added words

Blog Entries
    Nice job on the dovetails I assume that is white oak.

Blog Entries
    Nice looking box. It looks like quarter sawn white oak. Having worked with hickory, I feel that it is harder to work and cut than white oak and hickory smells better when you are working with it, particularly if your saw is not aligned properly or if your router bit is dull so you get a bit of scorching from time to time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Well done Andrew! Thanks for sharing. Not usually a fan of oak, but the quarter sawn is beautiful. Are the lighter "stripes" around the bottom edge and front of top sap wood, photo glare, or ?
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Nice looking box. It looks like quarter sawn white oak. Having worked with hickory, I feel that it is harder to work and cut than white oak and hickory smells better when you are working with it, particularly if your saw is not aligned properly or if your router bit is dull so you get a bit of scorching from time to time.
    I also like the smell of hickory especially in the smoker,I keep all my scraps.Thanks Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Well done Andrew! Thanks for sharing. Not usually a fan of oak, but the quarter sawn is beautiful. Are the lighter "stripes" around the bottom edge and front of top sap wood, photo glare, or ?
    Phil
    Hi Phil, I'm pretty sure the light stripe is the sap wood,I had planned to have on the top of the box but lost my mind and started cutting the pins.I tryd to take pic of the inside but I am terrible with my wife's camera.Out of 25 pic this was the only one that looks close.Thanks for commenting.

At least you were able to post it right side up...can't say the same for my posts. I actually like the sap wood contrast...and you're way ahead of me on the dovetail work...planned or otherwise.
    Phil

Nice looking box indeed. Is the top frame and panel or inset to a rabbet?

The sapwood along the bottom provides a good contrast/border and some solidity; did you consider the light on top?

C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Nice looking box indeed. Is the top frame and panel or inset to a rabbet?

The sapwood along the bottom provides a good contrast/border and some solidity; did you consider the light on top.
    C
    Thanks Christopher,The top is just a floating panel.Hopefully I didn't get any glue on the corners so it can move around.Since its quartersawn it may not even matter.Thanks Again
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    Very nice!
    Thanks Scott.
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 06-08-2015 at 11:22 PM.

Nicely done.

Smaller things are more difficult to make -
    the margins for success are narrow.

very appealing box ..well done
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

very nice work !

That oak figure looks amazing. What did you use for a finish?