Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aldi chisels

Saw them in my local Aldi, but passed them by as I already have a full set of Narex bevel edge and a couple of cheap ones from the BORG besides for outdoor projects.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

The handles look like they could be planed into a nice, tapered octagon shape pretty easily. What is the handle made from? Looks like ash.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Seems to be Ash.....

Out of the two sets I bought earlier this month four of the handles look to be ash, one is oak, and three are some fine grained quite soft wood.

Well, they sharpen up well. Be warned if you are planning to remove the handles and reshape them a la' Sellers, be warned that there is a substantial glob of glue at the bottom of the tang.

I bought a set. Just used them to chop a white oak handle so it fit a brass hammer head.
    The edge chipped once (no surprise as I hit the head many times).
    For the price, meh, they are good for the times you do not want to abuse good chisels.

I bought a set a few weeks ago. After tuning them up, they seemed to work very well. Since I don't yet have a home for them, they are just laying on my bench. Because of that, I have been using them pretty much exclusively, as they are just handy. I have to admit, I'm fairly impressed with them. I ended up buying a second set a week later that I may reshape the handles on. I'll keep the first set just as they are. The handles feel fine, although the flats on the handle are not necessarily parallel with the flats of the chisel.

Just picked up a set and sharpened them this afternoon. The biggest and smallest chisels both had some moderate nicks in the edge. The 3/4 size bevel was ground out of square to the sides, which is annoying.

On the plus side, the backs were a bit concave in the middle (not unlike Japanese chisels, though a i doubt it was intentional on the Aldi ones) so that made flattening the backs a breeze. They look to be fine for a set of extra / not critically accurate chisels. Plenty happy for $7. Haven't put them to work yet, though so no idea on true performance and longevity of the bevel.