Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aldi chisels

I stopped at the local Aldi's. No chisels, but I did come away with a great deal on a 10 pound bundle of kale.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I have to say that Aldi (and Lidl - the other fairly similar German chain that does arguably better power tools e.g. my compressor on special deals) have transformed the grocery/supermarket business here. We were being worked over by a cartel/colluding small group of Irish and UK supermarkets - prices were staying very high and quality low compared to Europe. Something which often happens - our markets are rarely big enough to support more than a few big players, and they inevitably choose not to compete.

Not only are the two German outfits very cost competitive, their product quality (while perhaps not the familiar brands) tends to be very significantly better too...

Back in the '80s I bought a set of 3 black plastic handled Stanley chisels from Kmart. Until yesterday those chisels have been my go to chisels, except for the one I made that was smaller than 1/2". I've been able to sit out the discussions about wood handles on chisels coming loose in low humidity because, well, I didn't have any wood handled chisels. Now I have a set of the Aldi chisels, a Father's day gift I bought for me.

They seem OK so far. It would have been nice if the smallest chisel was close to or just a bit narrower than 1/4". I measured the 4 chisels and this is what I came up with on the set I bought:

Marked Found Inches
    8mm 7.66mm .300"
    12mm 11.92mm .469"
    18mm 17.86mm .700"
    24mm 23.8mm .93"

Hope this helps someone thinking of hunting down a set. All in all they look like a decent addition to my tools.

-Tom

I found the Aldi chisels yesterday reduced in price to $4.99 for the set of 4. This store ( Geneva, IL) had a few sets left. Bought some as a curiosity and they took an edge well. It remains to be seen if they can hold an edge. Certainly can go into the tool box, if nothing else. I would add that these are not badly made at all. The other tools in the "WorkForce" section, such as tape measures, also looked as good as comparable Stanley products.

The set I bought was fairly easy to flatten and sharpen up. Made a Curly Maple Lap Desk, using these chisels. Stopped dados, and dovetails. Never had a problem with them. These may be my "Go to" chisels from now on...

Ok, ok….I relented and went to Aldi. Found the last pack o' chisels there, and for a reduced price of $4.99! Hey, a buck and a quarter per chisel? Why not. Still have my old Marples Blue chips, made in Sheffield, which were my starter chisels and now are more outdoor project chisels, but these Aldi's may have a niche.
    Maurice

They are back in stock in the US Aldi stores right now, part of their Father's Day sale I believe. I picked up a set this morning for $6.99 because I couldn't resist. After tuning them up, them seem to work well, although I haven't done anything real with them yet.

Thanks Rob. I will look for them. I have a digital caliper from Aldi's that I am very happy with.

Thanks Rob. Don't need them, but now I will look for them. I have a digital caliper from Aldi's that I am very happy with.

I looked frequently for the chisels and finally, yesterday they had one set left. I scooped that up and will give them a try when time permits.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

A friend of mine was looking for an inexpensive chisel set to get started (and get a Father's Day present in the process). I told him that it was too bad we didn't have an Aldi store near us. A phone call later and he has two sets headed our way. A free set for me if I will sharpen then for him.

I bought them last year, and got another set this year along with the files. This year's loot is still in the package ready for a new person to give them to.

They do not stay in stock near me. They come only once a year, and my wife picked them up maybe 3 days after they went into the store and snagged the very last set.

Last year I got them flattened and honed in under 30 seconds each. They are very easy to get going. I can't vouch for their longevity because I still, out of habit, grab the Stanleys I've had since 1993.

Has any one removed the handles, and if so, what did the tang look like? If I get a set to use as beaters, I would want to make wood handles!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

@Tony, I plan to take the handles off of mine tonight. I went ahead and sharpened up one set and I'm impressed by the edge. And it took very little to get it to a serviceable flat. Granted its not flat all the way across the back but plenty enough for good work.

Been using mine for about a year,now.
    .tools.jpg
    Close up of one of the handles...

And, if you want....Paul Sellers even has a video out about how he modified the same chisels' handles...