Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Something I don't understand

You hit the nail squarely on the head Ken!

Thanks Ken!.........I agree 100%.
    If it's not fun, you'er not doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by roger oldre View Post
    . A flawless bedway surface compared to a bedway with some sand pits or unevenness has not one bit of effect on the outcome of a piece that one turns on a wood lathe. . If you are buying a machine to use for the enjoyment of the art it doesent make any diferance if the paint is scatched or there are a couple sand pits in the casting or for ALMOST all cases if the tailstock doesn't line up!!
    ".
    Have to disagree on this point Roger....If you're putting out a thousand plus dollars for a piece of equipment you have a reasonable expectation that it is put together properly and looks like professionals made it. If you bought a new car because you like to travel is it ok if the paint is scratched and the hood doesn't line up and there is a ding or two in the door?.... I have a feeling that would not be acceptable and neither should it be acceptable in a lathe..

For comparison here's Northfields price list (which is mostly US made), you won't find a bandsaw in anywhere close to the price range of the Rikon you referenced aboce. I would of course expect them to be commensurately better, but if this class of machine was my only choice its a fair bet that I'd never have a bandsaw either.
    http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com...t-NMB-2014.pdf

Frankly your expectations don't really seem reasonable from my perspective. As you've noted you most certainly CAN buy a machine that meets your stated quality expectations but it will cost around 5x the price. for people that can afford that, super! fantastic! awesome! For the rest of us we need to temper our expectations somewhat and if we have to do a few tweaks to it, then that's part of the cost of buying a cheaper machine.

If you buy a Ford Focus instead of a Corvette should you expect the Ford to have scratches and dings on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Have to disagree on this point Roger....If you're putting out a thousand plus dollars for a piece of equipment you have a reasonable expectation that it is put together properly and looks like professionals made it. If you bought a new car because you like to travel is it ok if the paint is scratched and the hood doesn't line up and there is a ding or two in the door?.... I have a feeling that would not be acceptable and neither should it be acceptable in a lathe..
    Barry,

You aren't comparing products in the same price range. If you spend the same amount of money on a lathe as you spend on a new car, then surely you could rightfully expect a perfect paint job. Surely you don't shop at the Dollar Store and expect Macey's quality?

Adjusted for inflation, your lathe today would cost $2700. Name one British, Canadian or US manufactured lathe with quality and specifications equal to your lathe that is available new on today's market.

Name it.

If you want the highest quality, you can get it but you will pay for it...... It will cost 6-8 times the $1700 you keep wanting to point out. Quality costs.

Grizzly fits a specific niche in the market. That company has done so since it's entry into the business world. The consumer must be aware how Grizzly conducts their business and what the expectations are in the event of a warrantee situation. For the money, Grizzly tools are a good bang for the buck.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-09-2015 at 7:11 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    If you buy a Ford Focus instead of a Corvette should you expect the Ford to have scratches and dings on it?
    No but if it did, Ford would make it right and Grizzly will make it right.

Give it up Barry.....name one lathe made in Europe or North America that can be bought for $1700 or $2700 for that matter ......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

8. Just to answer a point in this discussion as it has evolved..........the fit and finish and machining on the G0766 unit I have is very good. What little disruption to that milled bed surface was caused by the loose conditions inside the crate, and as Ken has so ably stated, it was likely caused by that trip over the ocean on that ship.

With a few passes of 600 grit, the bed looks factory new now.........and I am a happy camper at this point. At this point I also believe that the manufacturer got the big, most important things right on this lathe......size of the lathe, motor/inverter combination and features...........it is the small things like the crating and tool rest that are problematic and can easily be solved and then we have what. at this point, I believe to believe to be a fine unit.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-09-2015 at 7:46 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The foreign companies don't have the same overhead of the US companies like health insurance, unions, lawyers, and shop safety conditions. Some deal with it some, but not nearly to the extent that we have to...... Not all of that is bad. My dad's business had been sued a couple of times over wrongful death accidents. In each case, the worker did some thing wrong, they knew it was wrong when they did it, and it killed them. Then, lawyers got into it, not for justice, but just to get a settlement.... We chose to fight it, and won in every case.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Barry,

You aren't comparing products in the same price range. If you spend the same amount of money on a lathe as you spend on a new car, then surely you could rightfully expect a perfect paint job. Surely you don't shop at the Dollar Store and expect Macey's quality?

Adjusted for inflation, your lathe today would cost $2700. Name one British, Canadian or US manufactured lathe with quality and specifications equal to your lathe that is available new on today's market.

Name it.

If you want the highest quality, you can get it but you will pay for it...... It will cost 6-8 times the $1700 you keep wanting to point out. Quality costs.

Grizzly fits a specific niche in the market. That company has done so since it's entry into the business world. The consumer must be aware how Grizzly conducts their business and what the expectations are in the event of a warrantee situation. For the money, Grizzly tools are a good bang for the buck.
    Ken, what you are saying is true, in the wood-turning world. In the greater world of wood-working, Grizzly offers tools from the serious hobbyist all the way up to a serious business. In just about every line of tools (table-saws, band-saws, jointers, etc) Grizzly makes tools that sell for $5000 to $8000
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    I retired 12 years ago taking early retirement when the company I worked for offered I buyout package I couldn't refuse. The company pension and govt. pensions pay the bills but with the way energy and food prices are rising who knows for how long. I took up woodworking as a hobby after I retired and I suspect for many others here it is a hobby. When I started I bought a shop full of Busy Bee power tools......
    Rick, just an FYI, Busy Bee was originally (and may still be, I don't know) ran by the brother of the guy that leads Grizzly. For many (many) years Grizzly did not sell in Canada as the two brother had decided to not compete.
    Grizzly will now ship to Canada, so it's possible the Canadian brother sold out, or the agreement changed, I simply don't know.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Ken
    Along the same line, Teknatool moved production to China (from New Zealand).
    Since that happened the QA has been, uneven. I got one of the early China made DVR's had it had fit and finish issues never seen before DVR lathes.
    The quality of the first batch of Super-Nova2 chucks was so bad Lee Valley dropped Teknatool.
    Of course the entire first batch of their new "spiffy" chucks had to be recalled because they had not been heat-treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    No but if it did, Ford would make it right and Grizzly will make it right.

Give it up Barry.....name one lathe made in Europe or North America that can be bought for $1700 or $2700 for that matter ......
    I think you are missing my point...all I mean to say is that if I buy something for $20.00 or $2000.00 I expect it to be right. I shouldn't have to go home and see what's wrong with it. Maybe some people think that because something is inexpensive then it's ok to have parts falling off of it. For me personally, that would not be satisfactory...
    In answer to your request for a European Lathe ....
    here's a new UK lathe for 899 pounds or about $1700.00 Canadian.. http://www.recordpower.co.uk/product...e#.VXeTglLJ4R8
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 06-09-2015 at 9:41 PM.

well. I know cars so I am comfortable with fixing them. years ago I spent 40 bucks on a plymouth horizon out of a savage yard to take from Minnesota to Washington state and back. it saved me the 200 in gas instead of driving my 3/4 ton truck. I design and build equipment from scratch, the stuff for me often doesn't get painted unless I decide to sell it. LOL I dont see the point of disagreement. can you explain how the pit or scratch in the paint changes the effectiveness of the machine to do what it was designed for? I have gone into the tail stock alignment issue in the past. It is an irrelevant issue for MOST of the turning being done.

I happen to have a PM 3520B that I bought 1-1/2 years ago when I splurged with money I received for an award at work. I have Grizzly BS, 8" jointer, and 15" planer. All of the Grizzly's needed some care to get them in top working condition but once they were they have been excellent tools. With the 3520B fit/form/finish were excellent and it worked marvelous out of the box. If I had not bought the 3520B I most likely would be interested in this new Grizzly or a Jet lathe. Only problem I have with a few of the G0766 posts is when it is compared to the PM and others. It is not the same - just like my three floor standing tools are great tools and function as intended but will never be as robust as higher price point tools (and they were designed as such).

Mike