Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not a woodworking tool, but...

Question Not a woodworking tool, but...

Any ideas out there as to WHAT it is?
    IMAG0124.jpg
    On this side, there is a Cat.No. 199-5, a "1/2" , a diamond, and the word IMPERIAL,
    IMAG0126.jpg
    On this side: CHICAGO USA with a patent number. 2814225 ( hard to read) This thing has a trick or two
    IMAG0125.jpg
    Those two halves are both spring loaded, and act like a ratchet. Just don't get your finger in the way, them springs are strong, and close with a snap!

This was in the bottom of that old tool box I got over the weekend. Depending on which way you attach this to a bolt or nut, it will ratchet as you tighten or loosen the item.

Any Brand names for this thing? Was there a full line up of sizes? or, just this 1/2" one?

Ceftainly seems to be a special purpose tools. Just a wild guess: a tool to turn fittings, e.g. valves, vents, etc.in tight spaces.

I have one in my toolbox.
    It belongs to my son, I will ask him tomorrow what it is used for.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Looks like an early ratcheting box end wrench. I found some evidence of sets, but no pics.
    http://www.datamp.org/patents/displa...14225&id=53254

Ding ding ding Mike. I had a few of them which I used for tightening tubing to injector pumps or other tight places that an open ended wrench would have trouble. They came as course and fine ratcheting with the course being able to bear a large tq load.

I think we need to open a special forum focused on weird tools, rust hunts, garage sale specials, antique store treasures, what is it, etc? New postings like the ones you are giving us Steven take awya the focus from important topics such as how flat does the back side of a plane blade need to be? how can I work with a pitted plane sole? whats your preferred method for polishing your secondary back bevel? etc

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I think we need to open a special forum focused on weird tools, rust hunts, garage sale specials, antique store treasures, what is it, etc? New postings like the ones you are giving us Steven take awya the focus from important topics such as how flat does the back side of a plane blade need to be? how can I work with a pitted plane sole? whats your preferred method for polishing your secondary back bevel? etc
    Hehehehe....you forgot about .."which sharpening stone should i use?" threads....

How about " Have a big pile of brace bits, how do I sharpen them up?"
    bits.jpg
    Hey, Pat, this more like it?

Ok, went and traced the Patent number......one Morley Mann of Lombard, ILL., invented this wrench in 1956. Pat. date is from Nov of 1957. Apparently for use like a flare nut wrench.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hehehehe....you forgot about .."which sharpening stone should i use?" threads....

How about " Have a big pile of brace bits, how do I sharpen them up?"
    bits.jpg
    Hey, Pat, this more like it?
    Actually, you need an auger file.

It's a line wrench.I have a whole bunch of them,they supposedly make tightening or loosening things like hydraulic lines easier.

The moderators should close this. It has nothing to do with Neanderthal Haven.

Ah, but it IS a hand tool. Over 60 years old, too.

It is the same as a flare nut wrench, only it has a ratchet action.

However, there are a few hand tools that do need a 1/2" wrench to adjust. Or, do we leave out all them screwdrivers, forge tools, and other shop tools, just to fit a FEW people's narrow difinations? Or, just narrow minded?

Yes, that is what my son told me. Primarily a plumbers tool
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Still made by Imperial nowadays. Mainly for air conditioner work. Tight spots working on lines, comes in handy, I guess.

Leaves out the Neanderthals....they don't use "Modern" things like AC....

That is an "antique" Imperial Eastman Instrument Tubing Wrench. It comes in fractional sizes for compression tubing fittings, most notably Swagelok, Cajon, Whitey, and Parker fittings. It breaks in the middle to allow you to install a compression fitting in the middle of a tubing run, and be able to get the wrench off when the fitting is made up.
    Nominal tubing sizes are 1/4", which uses a 9/16th wrench. 3/8" which uses an 11/16th wrench, and 1/2" tubing which uses a 7/8ths wrench. Yours would appear to be the wrench for 3/16ths, high pressure sample lines, and to back the 9/16ths, on 1/4" union compression fittings.
    A plumber would have little use for the tool. HVAC work, possibly a little. Flare fittings have different nominal tubing size OD's than instrument tubing. It is primarily used by Process Instrumentation Technicians for work on pneumatic and process control systems in industrial environments.
    I have many sets at work. That one there though is definitely "a collectors item". It's a beauty!!
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 06-09-2015 at 2:25 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)