Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ShopSmith as Lathe- What are the specific weaknesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    ..... As a drill press/horizontal boring machine: Only ok. The mechanisms that adjust and hold the table in place aren't particularly precise and don't hold tightly. So the drill head and the table supporting the work can go out of alignment. I've especially noticed this when doing horizontal boring, which is unfortunate, since this is something relatively unique to the shopsmith type machines. .....

Well, nuts. The horizontal boring feature is what really got me interested. This is no longer looking very good....... (thanks, all.)

I've been using a ShopSmith 500 for over 3 years and turn bowls for 2" to 8" in diameter. I've purchased the replacement banjo, one way chuck with adapter, live center and tail stock extender. The only issue is the speed, I should buy a speed reducer, large out of round pieces and it vibrates like crazy. Plus the band saw and drill plus feature are better than OK.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    I began turning with a Mark V Shopsmith about 14 years ago and encountered these same issues: too light, frame flexed, too fast. But most of those issues only apply to rough turning or "irregulars" (natural edge pieces or a bowl with inclusions) so I guess it depends on what you intend to do. For me, as a neophyte woodturner exploring the possibilities, it was a good experience. I inherited the machine so there was no investment.

The concept of these five-in-one machines is also the biggest drawback. In order to be a table saw AND a lathe AND a drill press AND a shaper each one of those tasks is somewhat of a compromise. For cabinet work -- which I do -- the horizontal boring works well, and a mortising attachment worked extremely well. Some people have given the boring a bad review, I realize, but I found it quite acceptable and would still be using it except that I now prefer to use a biscuit joiner. You can also use it as a thickness planer, employing the standard fence and plate sander, which I liked.

I upgraded to a bigger Jet lathe long ago, but if I had room for it, I'd keep the Mark V as a dedicated variable speed sanding and polishing station. Sounds sacreligious, but you could easily shorten the frame bars to take up less space.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 06-30-2015 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    I began turning with a Mark V Shopsmith about 14 years ago and encountered these same issues: too light, frame flexed, too fast. But most of those issues only apply to rough turning or "irregulars" (natural edge pieces or a bowl with inclusions) so I guess it depends on what you intend to do. For me, as a neophyte woodturner exploring the possibilities, it was a good experience. I inherited the machine so there was no investment.

The concept of these five-in-one machines is also the biggest drawback. In order to be a table saw AND a lathe AND a drill press AND a shaper each one of those tasks is somewhat of a compromise. For cabinet work -- which I do -- the horizontal boring works well, and a mortising attachment worked extremely well. Some people have given the boring a bad review, I realize, but I found it quite acceptable and would still be using it except that I now prefer to use a biscuit joiner. You can also use it as a thickness planer, employing the standard fence and plate sander, which I liked.

I upgraded to a bigger Jet lathe long ago, but if I had room for it, I'd keep the Mark V as a dedicated variable speed sanding and polishing station. Sounds sacreligious, but you could easily shorten the frame bars to take up less space.
    Russell,

I've posted this before but I use my SS as a dedicated sanding station also. For what I make/do, it works great and if I had to sell everything I own would probably be one of the last items to go. Drum & belt sander trade places with the strip sander. Flat disk & conical trade places on the quill and the spindle sander sits on 3 extension tables.
    ssss a.jpg

One of these days I'd like to find another decent SS on the cheap and covert it like this picture of a SS Shop Deputy so I don't have to switch out units.

shop_deputy_belt_disc_drum_l.jpg

I know a lot of people still use their SS as a lathe but not my cup of tea.