Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about gluing corian

Question about gluing corian

I have a pile of 1/2" corian scraps and cutoffs. I had an idea of laminating some to be able to do some thicker turnings. I don,t know if its feasible to get good enough bonding to allow turning and which type glue to use.

Any help/advise appreciated

dave

There's a special glue for Corian. You choose the color of the glue to match the color of the Corian. Check with any corian supplier and they'll have a chart that tells you what color glue to use for each type of corian. You can really make (nearly) invisible joints with it.

You may be able to find that chart on line if you search for it.

Alternately, I suspect epoxy will work but may show a glue line.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+1 on the special Corian glue (I'm not familiar with the product Peter linked to, but it sounds like similar stuff)--- it will "weld" the pieces together, with an invisible seam (if you get the right color)

You can find the right glue on ebay-even some out of date pretty cheap that probably still works okay. The first Corian counter I put in was in 1982. It's white, and the glue was white and a good match when I first installed it. Now the glue joints show the glue as clear. I hadn't seen that kitchen for a couple of decades, so I don't know what the transition was. It turns fine glued in stacks, but I turned it on a metal lathe.

I have found epoxy to work well, but I have never achieved an invisible glue line. The one bowl blank I glued up got tossed away for that reason.

I've used both epoxy and CA. With CA, I can get an invisible glue line. I've turned the pieces glued with CA, and they have survived the turning.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

I've turned several pens from Corian and used CA to glue 1/2" thick slabs together. Totally invisible glue line on both white and very pale pink pieces.

I made a shooting board out of Corian, used CA glue, and it's held up just fine. I would have used the dedicated glue if I had thought to order some at the same time I ordered the shooting plane, but no problems with the CA glue.

Turning plastic?

The smell must be overwhelming.

The guns for the Corian adhesive are not inexpensive, neither is the adhesive. I experimented with epoxy and scraps before committing to 'real' adhesive and gun. I didn't do a much, just a few scraps but a single joint when routed was invisible. I did have one joint failure and suspect it was because I didn't sand the 'gloss' off before gluing it up.

Turning Corian doesn't produce much of an oder but cutting it on a table saw is very bad.

No matter what adhesive you choose to use clean Corian with alcohol before you apply the adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Turning Corian doesn't produce much of an oder but cutting it on a table saw is very bad.

No matter what adhesive you choose to use clean Corian with alcohol before you apply the adhesive.
    Some companies make special table saw blades for cutting corian. I think it's negative rake. I never noticed much of an odor when cutting corian on the table saw. Maybe it depends on the blade you use. If the blade causes burning it might smell more.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Captain Eddie has a YouTube video on gluing Corian for pen blanks. Might help for what you're doing also. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqKVqz2zZ50
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

As I recall Ken Salisbury started a thread here about using CA glue to join Corian.