Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bag for DeWalt 735 Planer Dust?

Bag for DeWalt 735 Planer Dust?

I decided to put my DeWalt 735 planer on a mobile base and add a dust bag. Maybe if I set it up properly, I will actually USE it.

I found a forum thread by a guy who said he fixed his planer up with a Toro leaf collector bag. He put up photos of the results, and even though he was only using 2 1/2" hose, it worked great. I am following his example, but the product he bought isn't readily available.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-...aner-chip-bag/

I got a shop-vac hose rigged up to the planer's output, but now I need a bag.

I have checked around, and some people say you don't need a super-fine filter on the planer, because it doesn't make much fine dust. Is that true? If so, I can put just about any type of bag on it. One guy on the Internet is using a pillow case.

If fine dust is an issue, can anyone recommend a good cheap bag? I prefer a 2 1/2" opening, but 4" would also work. I found a Powertec 3-micron bag, but it looks small.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291323772330

Bosch makes a bag for a portable table saw. I doubt the filtration is great, but it looks like a good fit.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

Fines are not an issue. Just large shavings. Use a gunny sack.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I want to see a video of this. Unless everything is really secured well, the blower on it will blow the bag into the next county. Before I had a dust collector I just ran a 4" metal dryer duct into trash can. It is mainly chips and not much fine dust.

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that a planer doesn't produce much fine dust. I wish I had a particulate measurement tool to verify it.

I have a DW 735. I use a short piece of 2 1/2" hose and a dust bag made for a Bosch job site table saw. The hose lets the bag hang off to the side of the planer. The only problem is the bag fills up fast.

John

I used a grain bag ( yes, from the feed mill) ..and used a hose clamp on the outlet.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

I too have a DW-735 ... no doubt in my mind that there's 'fines' being scrubbed-off by the knives.
    If I were going to bag the shavings ... I'd use the 5 micron bag from Rockler: item #20431 @ $33.

I always use my DW735 planer outside and use the DeWalt hose accessory for it. The end of the hose has a fabric can cover with a draw string to keep it on the can. I don't worry about fines because they blow away. The 38 gallon can fills way too quickly though. Every once in a while the cover comes off of the can and chips blow out of it everywhere, but this is the main reason why I don't do it in the shop.

I never plane short or very thin boards, so I haven't had any kick-back, but I never stand or allow anyone else to stand in line with the infeed or outfeed ends of the planer either. I was taught this in high school almost 60 years ago and have followed it since.

Charley

I love the Internet. Ask a question and start a controversy.

I don't think the bag will fly off. Other people have not had that problem, and I am planning to use a hose clamp to attach it. The bag end of the house has a larger diameter than the body of the hose, so the clamp should not have to work hard. The planer end has a 2" rubber pipe sleeve with 2 built-in hose clamps.

DeWalt quit selling the garbage can accessory. I guess I should have started shopping a few years sooner.

The Bosch and Rocker bags may be good solutions. Thanks for the replies.

I am a little concerned because it looks like the opening on the Rockler bag is 8", and I have to make it work with a 2 1/2" hose end.

This might be a little more elaborate than what you're looking for, but instead of a collection bag, what about running a rigid or flexible pipe from the chip exhaust into a dedicated trash can or bucket fixed with a fine mesh screen or ventilation filter on the lid? Chips go in and the air inside is pushed out through the screen/filter.

I have tried most of the afore mentioned attempt's at catching chips from my 735. I found the best method was to use it out side and let the chips fall where they may.

This brings me back to the fine dust question, but some here say there is fine dust, and others say there isn't! A bucket with a screen would be simple and cheap if I could get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    This might be a little more elaborate than what you're looking for, but instead of a collection bag, what about running a rigid or flexible pipe from the chip exhaust into a dedicated trash can or bucket fixed with a fine mesh screen or ventilation filter on the lid? Chips go in and the air inside is pushed out through the screen/filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    .... The end of the hose has a fabric can cover with a draw string to keep it on the can. I don't worry about fines because they blow away. The 38 gallon can fills way too quickly though....
    Charley
    I once had one of these and it worked well. I gave it to a friend and he likes it. (I now have a dust collection system) The fine dust does escape the fabric bag system but all the large chips are collected.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I think my comment about fines may have been taken a little wrong. I said it is mainly chips and not much fine dust. I did not imply there were no fines. Compared to a sander, the proportion of fines is much less.

The fines I am most concerned about are those in the 1 micron range. Now with a dust collection system, I do not really see the chips and dust.