Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veritas crosscut saw opinions

Quote Originally Posted by David Spurr View Post
    I have the crosscut and the rip and like them both. Absolutely no complaints for $79.
    +1

Hey Max? My local sharpener does a good job on old backsaws for less than $10. (My Veritas haven't needed sharpened yet but don't see why I should expect a different result with them.) You might check around in your area. Beats buying a new saw.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Take it with a grain of salt. But if you are not sure what you need or want, then a good vintage back saw would be a good way to go. Providing you don't have to have it sharpened/ tuned, etc. By the time you pay someone to do that, you may have spent more than the Veritas. That being said the Veritas saws in general are a very good bang for the buck. If you are lazy like me or don't have time to roam the sales looking for a good vintage saw, the Veritas would be the way to go. The plates will be straight as an arrow and the machine sharpened teeth will cut true. ( the operator may not, though. ) You won't break any speed records cutting with them. But then, why would you want to? Welcome to the new Old world and best of luck in your hunt.

Thanks all for the quick input. Appreciate the first hand experience.
    The three saw deal from Lee Valley is tempting. I am so over my tool budget the last few weeks...then again Fathers Day is around the corner. Maybe one from each child and one from LOML. Let's see how that flies...