Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about an Air Rifle

If they are as loud as 22 rifles, why not just get a 22 rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    There are some communities where it is legal to fire air but not powder.

Also, 22 rimfire ammo seems to have become quite precious (difficult to obtain in quantity).

I don't think I'd want to fire anything that sounded like a 22 as I would get a police response here after repeated firings.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    There are some communities where it is legal to fire air but not powder.

Also, 22 rimfire ammo seems to have become quite precious (difficult to obtain in quantity).

I don't think I'd want to fire anything that sounded like a 22 as I would get a police response here after repeated firings.
    On the flip side, I have some sub-sonic .22 LR that is quieter than my (common, inexpensive) air rifles.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    What makes you think I don't?
    I have one, and can shoot it off my deck since I have 33 acres of woods behind us. Just don't want to.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 06-13-2015 at 10:11 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Recently I got my very old 22 cal Benjamin air rifle out of the closet so I could scare some small critters from my garden. I don't have any idea that this old gun would kill anything but a very tiny animal but a couple of pumps will give them a sting that gets their attention.

I'm amazed at how advanced air rifles have gotten over the years.

I own a 22 rifle that I use to send ground hogs to animal heaven every chance I get. Ground Hogs are so destructive I can't allow their numbers to increase or I would soon be overrun.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I own a 22 rifle that I use to send ground hogs to animal heaven every chance I get. Ground Hogs are so destructive I can't allow their numbers to increase or I would soon be overrun.
    I did that with my .22
    Shot at it as it was running from my deck, to the neighbors deck. 6 or 7 shots.
    4 days later Russ was tearing his deck up. He was trying to find the source of the stink.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I like the air rifle, as opposed to my .22 for little targets, which ar no farther away than 100 feet. After that it's in the woods.
    Chupmunks as an example. I have 63 notches on the gun stock. Sometimes rabbits. (4)
    If a squirrel figures out how to raid the bird feeders, he gets it too. (3) The hunting pellet will take them down.

The gun club I belong to has an air gun range. One day I walked down to it when they were having a match, man, did that change my thinking about air guns. The range was packed, with targets at 15 to 50 yards. I don't know what rifles they were shooting but most looked like they were close to home built. I was amazed at the accuracy they were able to do. I did not see any one doing multiple pumping. Like I said , it sure changed what I thought about air guns. Not ready to give up my center fires for one but thinking about adding one to my inventory.
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Now I have to go out and shoot some of mine to see how quite it is, and if the cops come I'm telling them you said it was quite and OK

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    On the flip side, I have some sub-sonic .22 LR that is quieter than my (common, inexpensive) air rifles.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thanks for all the info.
    If anyone is interested, I found a TV show available on You-tube called "American Airgunner" The "Round Table" in the show has some good info for the beginner. The show is on TV, but have not figured out what channel.
    I most likely will never buy an air gun, Just interesting to read how advanced they have become since the Red Rider we all had as kids.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 06-15-2015 at 9:21 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Now I have to go out and shoot some of mine to see how quite it is, and if the cops come I'm telling them you said it was quite and OK
    My address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave, Washington D.C....
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore