Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Jet 1014VS or New Nova II with Chuck

Well it seems I waffled too long and the sale priced Nova IIs at tools plus sold out. Looks like I have some additional time to look now that there's no rush.
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

I just stumbled upon this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x...d-Lathe/T25920

Is it worth considering as an alternative to the Nova?

A new option has popped up and I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. It's a used, but good condition Delta 46-745.

The seller wants $600 for it which would be a lot for a discontinued lathe you cannot get parts for, but it also comes with a chuck, chisels, and a bunch of other items. The chuck and chisels alone are worth $150 or so. The lathe is a 16" swing x 42" and the headstock can slide to the end of the lathe for outboard turning. It's EVS with 3 pulley sets for 3 speed ranges 0-3200 RPM and 1.5 HP.

I've done some research and the one part that scares me about failing is the speed control/motor but I've found that even if the speed controller does fail I can replace it with a Baldor one for about $150.00. I'll be running the lathe up and checking for noise, bearing play, center alignment, etc. This is an estate sale and from talking with the seller they just want to get it out of their garage.

So I would be buying used, but starting off with a 'starter' lathe that has a lot more capacity and features than the $500 midi lathes I was looking at. I'm also getting a starter set of tools. I'll add a face shield and start learning.

Is this a big mistake or a possible good way to start?

Here's a link to the photos of what I'm looking to buy: http://www.gnhw.org/blog/delta-wood-...ge-set-chisels

Thanks in advance for your advice....again.
    Last edited by Allan Wright; 07-01-2015 at 11:18 PM.

I would forget that one, it is Reeves drives and at one time the parts were not available.

If it's a Reeves drive machine I agree I don't want it.

Wait I see the confusion, my above post had the wrong model number, It's a 46-745 which I think isn't Reeves drive based on the photos and this review: http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/delta-16-in-lathe-46-745.aspx

I will definitely look inside the headstock at the pulleys and make sure it's a fixed 3-speed drive train with electronic speed control only. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I would forget that one, it is Reeves drives and at one time the parts were not available.
    Last edited by Allan Wright; 07-01-2015 at 11:20 PM. Reason: correction

Tools Plus is showing it again but now at $539 vs the old $479; $60 more (about $400 for the lathe if you were going to have to buy a chuck anyway).
    Still a good deal to me with the free G3 and shipping.
    They do as of this typing show it in stock.
    http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-46300c.html
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I was wrong I read it as being the 46-715 model, but do check to see if parts are available for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    I was wrong I read it as being the 46-715 model, but do check to see if parts are available for it.
    Not your fault, I typed 46-715 by mistake, I corrected the mistake in my original post. Thanks for your help!

Allan: I believe that any parts for this lathe are No Longer Available, according to this: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...8/XNiqJBNIg1UJ

Delta No Longer has Any factory serviceable parts available!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Just posting a final follow up on this thread, which ended up being more of a 'help me buy my first lathe' thread than the original comparison. So, first thanks for everyone's help and advice.

I went ahead and bought the used Delta lathe. It was an estate sale and the lathe had minimal use as the owner took ill soon after buying it. It had been in storage for several years, but was still clean, no rust. Upon inspecting it the lathe ended up being the Delta 46-746 220-volt 2HP version, not the 110 1.5HP version. All the better, being the son of an electrician I easily dropped a dedicated 220v outlet into my shop for it. Although the manual describes 3 pulley position, the lathe only has one pulley on the motor and head drive, but the Baldur drive runs it from 0-3200 RPM just fine. Possibly this is a 220v version only feature. Tail stock to head stock alignment is perfect and the lathe runs very quietly.

For $600.00 I got:
    • the Lathe with all it's factory-included items, 2 tool rests, 2 face plates drive and live centers, knock out bar, wrenches, etc.
    • Caster system
    • Oneway Stronghold Chuck (with #1 jaws, strangely)
    • Beall Collet Chuck Set w/6 collets, tools, etc, still in shrink wrap
    • Nine (9) seemingly brand new Sorby HSS chisels, Two other HSS Chisels - a decent starting mix
    • MT2 Keyless Drill Chuck
    • Boxed set of 5 dowel/plug/tenon cutters
    • Face shield
    • Spindle mounded indexing system
    • 6" & 12" smooth round bar tool rests
    • Set of 4 calipers
    • 3 plastic jigs (center finder, etc.)
    • Several MT2 spur drives and live centers (at least 3 of each in addition to the lathe's original ones)

For $100 I also bought a variable speed grinder with 2 different grits of aluminum oxide wheels and a homemade wolverine-ish system.

Other than getting the Stronghold #2 smooth dovetail jaws so I can make bowls/plates, this thing came with everything. I think I'll send the seller a couple nice bowls as soon as I get some done as a thank you.
    Last edited by Allan Wright; 07-04-2015 at 12:41 AM.

I think you made a heck of a good purchase there. You'll be OK, as ong as you never need parts. I work with a couple of former Delta engineers and designers, and when they were designing their lathes they tried to compete with PM and Jet, so you should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
    I have found a Used Jet 1014VS that is local and priced at $600. This includes the stand, which is something that I desire as if I buy the Nova I'll have to build or buy an appropriate work bench for it. The Jet also includes some wood blanks and a set of the low-end Delta turning tools.
    Allan, do you recall if this lathe was in Madison NH? I'm used lathe hunting, and came across a similarly described ad on craigslist for $575. It would be good to know if it is the same one. Thanks
    Midi lathe shopping in New England - feel free to PM me

I'm sorry I do not remember.

No worries, thx.
    Midi lathe shopping in New England - feel free to PM me