Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Jet 1014VS or New Nova II with Chuck

Used Jet 1014VS or New Nova II with Chuck

First, apologies for yet another, 'help me buy my first lathe' thread. I have spent about 15-20 hours scouring this forum's past new lathe threads, reading other forums and watching a ton of YouTube videos on lathe reviews. As a long-time member of the Creek's laser engraving forum, I feel this is home, so with my new interest, comes a new sub forum of the Creek. Thank you in advance for your patience.

I've had about 18 years away from turning. My last access to a lathe was as part of a furniture design course at the university where I work. The lathe was a vintage powermatic with a reeves drive system. I used the shop's tools and safety equipment. I've taken the course multiple times and while having access to the shop have enjoyed turning bowls and plates the most of any of the things I've done, even to the detriment of the other course assignments. It's time for me to focus on what I enjoy at home with my own lathe. I know I will be mostly focusing on bowls and other 'face plate' type items so variable speed with a slow minimum is pretty much a must have. I'd prefer a 12" swing but I'm sure I can fully enjoy turning with a 10" swing. Considering my overall budget I'm in the $500-$600(max) range for the lathe itself as I'll need to also buy tools, sharpening and safety equipment. I also know that since I'll be turning bowls I'll want a chuck, pretty much right away.

In the "new lathe" category I had settled on the Nova Comet II Midi since Tools-Plus has the lathe/chuck combo on special for $479. The included chuck makes this a very good deal in my opinion. The next step up from this would be the Jet 1221vs which is unfortunately over my budget, particularly after adding another $100+ for a chuck. The other new consideration would be the Delta 46-460 which looks really nice, but conversations here on the Creek about parts availability have soured me on this lathe. So unless my research about new lathes has serious flaws, my new preference would be the Nova combo. I'm willing to hear opinions otherwise.

Before I actually ordered the Comet II I've been scouring eBay and the local Craigslist as I'm also quite open to having my money go further by buying used. I have found a Used Jet 1014VS that is local and priced at $600. This includes the stand, which is something that I desire as if I buy the Nova I'll have to build or buy an appropriate work bench for it. The Jet also includes some wood blanks and a set of the low-end Delta turning tools. Yes they're not good tools, but I'll be learning to sharpen and if I'm going to learn by grinding away steel, starting on some less expensive tools may actually not be a bad thing.

So if it were YOUR money, would you buy a Nova Comet II with chuck new, or a Used Jet 1014VS with stand?
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

I started on a Rikon mini, 1/2 HP. I moved to the 46-460 , 1 HP. It was so much easier using the 1 HP machine compared to the 1/2. The 1/2 bogs down really easy so the enjoyment factor suffers greatly. I have moved on to a much larger machine but I still have the 46-460. I have been lucky in that I have not had any of the common problems with it, and you wouldn't believe how many bowls that lathe has turned, but I would recommend the Jet 1221vs over the 46-460 because of the parts issues.

If I had to pick between the Nova and the 1014, I would get the Nova because of swing and HP, but if you are going to use it much, I would try and get the 1221. Good Luck.

Allan, I started out on a Nova II and as a novice it worked quite well for a 3/4hp lathe. I liked it a lot. My Neighbor had a Delta 46-460 and I think we were fairly evenly matched. Both variable speed and about the same size. The Delta being slightly larger.
    Last edited by Dok Yager; 06-12-2015 at 8:59 PM.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

That's two votes for the Nova over the 1014, and support for my initial thoughts that the Jet 1221vs would be a step up from the Nova. Thanks for your feedback. I'm still interested in other feedback people have. At this point I'll stop thinking too hard about the Used 1014.

Now if you could find a used Nove 1624-44 for about the same or just slightly more money. Well
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

I currently have the Nova Comet II as a travel lathe, but do use it a lot on smaller pieces and finishing and for new turners to use. With some modification (see tread in SMC) to mount, it can be a decent lathe with limitations, but still a little lathe that does not like unbalanced work very well compared to my Powermatic 3502B but that is another story. I had the Jet 1014 and Jet 1014VS, and found the VS to be way underpowered for bowl work, and would use a straight 1014 over the VS when going to classes if given the choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    Now if you could find a used Nove 1624-44 for about the same or just slightly more money. Well
    Is this a fantasy situation or something that is actually reasonable? I've only been scouring the local Craigslist for about a month and so far I've only seen lower end junk lathes with the exception of the one 1014VS.

Where are you located? Local clubs often have lathes that come up at decent prices, might be worth checking out. I will probably have my lathe (Jet 1220 non-vs) up for sale shortly once I get my new Grizzly lathe up and settled in.

Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    Where are you located? Local clubs often have lathes that come up at decent prices, might be worth checking out. I will probably have my lathe (Jet 1220 non-vs) up for sale shortly once I get my new Grizzly lathe up and settled in.
    I'm in the Seacoast(ish) area of New Hampshire. The only local club is based in the Woodcraft store in Newington, NH. I've yet to attend a meeting. Unfortunately I'll miss this month's meeting as I'll be in Pennsylvania on vacation when it happens. I'll probably stop by the July meeting before making a final decision.

For me a midi lathe was my only choice due to space limitations. I went with the Jet 1221vs. I could not justify a 3520B based upon the time and expense. If I was independently wealthy........ I have had both a jet 1014 and jet 1014vs. These worked well for small projects. I still mostly do those small projects, but once in awhile, I do something bigger and want a machine with more power and a little more bed length than the mini's have. Again the midi wins, for me, over the mini.

Although I got a good deal and free shipping via Amazon, if I had it to do again, I would buy from a retail outlet such as a Woodcraft store. I would ask the store to set up the lathe and see that all was working properly. I would ask them to help me get it on my truck, too. I would not care if it was repacked in the box. The hassle of returning the item or even having to fix something wrong, when it first arrives, isn't worth the reduced cost of an online purchase to me. Just my 4 cents worth. YMMV
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Alan, I've had a Nova Mercury, the predecessor / little brother of the Comet, for many years. Quite a capable 1/2 hp small lathe with outboard capacity but you had to respect both its physical and motor power limits and its motor "duty cycle." It is quite easy to overwork small motors and their variable speed controllers if you wish to turn at the upper end of their capacity or for extended periods. They need a rest. (ps we have 240v motors not 110v)

I fully understand you want to do "bowls and other 'face plate' type items so variable speed with a slow minimum is pretty much a must have" but I would also suggest looking at the second hand market for a quality 5 or 6 speed belt change lathe. They are no longer that popular so can be purchased for very reasonable prices and most are easily upgraded latter when more funds become available. Turners survived for centuries without variable speed.

One small lathe to look out for is the Vicmarc VL100 if one comes up, a very capable small capacity lathe.

I searched your state for lathes on this site. http://zoomthelist.com/

I am a sucker for old cast iron, there is one on there for $175 http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/5071775483.html If I lived within 400 miles it would already be mine.

It is old, it is NOT variable speed, but can be for a few hundred dollars more, but I use the belt switching time to contemplate my next attack plan. The size is larger, but only a little longer with a 30" bed. It is not pretty, but a good cleaning and a few rattles cans of paint can fix that.

Pros, the cast iron weighs more than any of the midi's, also the legs also look to be cast iron so that is more added weight.

Allen, I went through much the same quest a couple of years ago, I would have loved one of the new Jet midis, but couldn't justify the cost difference. So I purchased the comet II with the small nova chuck and I have no regrets. There are some threads about the Comet II on sawmill creek forums and they are worth reading. When you get yours, check all of the nuts and bolts and set screws for tightness, also loosen the set screw on the faceplate that is on the end of the headstock. No one told me about that, fortunately I didn't try to force mine off, so I did very little damage. You will find that a nice fat wooden ring attached to the hand wheel is a worthwhile project. Once in a while I find I want to do a chunk of wood that is too big for a midi so I start the project on one of the Nor-Cal Woodturners club mentors lathes and work it down to fit my lathe. One of the best things you can do is get involved with a woodturning club, most will have libraries, and mentors, and training programs. I belong to two clubs, one is an hour away and one is two hours away and the value of these clubs is priceless!!!

Learn to turn safely!

Phil Harris

Thanks Phil, great post.

Marvin, something about me WANTS to love old cast iron, but I learned on a variable speed lathe so I'm pretty stuck on that feature. What are you proposing, putting a variable speed motor on it? Tell more please.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
    Thanks Phil, great post.

Marvin, something about me WANTS to love old cast iron, but I learned on a variable speed lathe so I'm pretty stuck on that feature. What are you proposing, putting a variable speed motor on it? Tell more please.
    There has been numerous threads on adding VFD drives to lathes. Not a cheap journey, but an interesting one. A 100 year old piece of cast iron with modern speed controls is not for everyone, but for an old iron lover it can be a good fit.