Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What North American-Made Lathes (new) are Available Now?

Smile What North American-Made Lathes (new) are Available Now?

A recent thread that touched on this got me wondering about currently available options. So far I have found:

Robust - Well known American maker. Selection of lathes that start at $5,000. They have a nice lathe for seated turners, and the oft pined-for American Beauty (sigh).
    Barneveld, WI

Oneway - Well known Canadian maker. Selection of lathes that start at $2,500. 2000 series lathes are popular with serious turners. (I've turned on one and they are sweet!)
    Stratford, ON

Vega - Somehow often overlooked but they make a nice 15" swing lathe starting at $2,800, and a nice bowl lathe at $3,200. They also have lathe duplicators and other tooling.
    Decatur, IL

Are there others that someone looking might consider? Care to share experiences with these makers, especially the lesser known lathes? Just looking for factual information here, not getting into debates please.

2. Doug........I am not aware of any others that are widely available on a commercial basis. Some guys with welding, electrical and mechanical skills build a home made lathe on occasion........we have such a guy in our club who has built a rose engine lathe and his own bowl lathe, & also owns a Oneway. He is a creeker......Dale Winburn. Quite a turner also!

The selection is limited and likely the reason most lathes are manufactured in Tiawan/China. Of course, the Vicmark and woodfast are exceptions.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Serious Tool Works would be an addition.

4. Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    Serious Tool Works would be an addition.
    The last I heard, that Serious SL2542 is actually manufactured for them in India.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

While Serious is a US company, the lathes are made in India. Vicmarcs are made in Australia, but the castings are Asian. Woodfast, I think, is Asian now too, like Powermatic.

Thanks for the correction Roger & Jason.

Thanks for jogging the memory on Serious. Pretty massive lathe! I didn't realize they moved production to India. That reminded me of Stubby lathes but I see they are not a US company. I have seen some nice home made lathes. I've also seen Nicholson wood lathes but not available now.

I don't think Nichols is making lathes anymore, but they were out of Oregon. I see them come up for sale now and then.

http://web.archive.org/web/200311261...holslathe.com/

Jon
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

The Nichols lathes went out a number of years ago, not too long after Oneway started up. I had considered a Nichols, but the 3520A came out and I went with it. There also used to be the Conover lathes, made by Ernie Conover. You bought the headstock, and legs, and made your on ways from wood planks. I have heard of the Vega lathes, but know nothing about them.

robo hippy

Just as I was getting used to yesterday, along came today....

I know General is canadian, but unsure if they are made in canada...
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Oliver still makes lathes and used to make them here, but now, I think that they are made in China. As for Vega, I had one. OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

General lathes are made in Canada but General International ones are made offshore.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Hilel Salomon View Post
    Oliver still makes lathes and used to make them here, but now, I think that they are made in China. As for Vega, I had one. OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Nuff said.
    I'm not sure if that's OMG=Good, or OMG=It was the worst experience of my life. But since you say you HAD one, I'm guessing it's the 2nd OMG. Either way, I'd like to hear more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dupras View Post
    I'm not sure if that's OMG=Good, or OMG=It was the worst experience of my life. But since you say you HAD one, I'm guessing it's the 2nd OMG. Either way, I'd like to hear more.
    I'm thinking the same thing. Good or bad Hilel??

Red
    RED