Thread: Pressure of Apollo Precision 5 Turbine

Pressure of Apollo Precision 5 Turbine

Hi,

I just bought a top of the line Apollo Precision 5 turbine spray system. The turbine is a 5 stage turbine and is advertised as 9.5 psi. I am only getting 7.2 psi or so with the turbine output sealed (no flow). The company says this is normal and that I do not need 9.5. What pressure do you see on your Apollo turbine? I believe this is the same turbine as in the 1050VR and the Power 5 turbines so those results would be helpful too.

TW

How and where are you measuring the pressure, and with what kind of gauge.
    I'm very interested, I have a 1035 system with 4 stage system. My concern is not being able to spray oil based enamels as well as thinned latex, with the "D" air cap is paired with the 2.5mm needle and nozzle.
    'not trying to hijack your thread
    Ed

One would think 9.5 would be 9.5
    Maybe it's time to contact the president of Apollo, John Darroch

Ed

Hi Ed,
    No problem on the hijack. I thought the thread died a premature death anyway.

The turbine unit has a digital pressure readout on the case. I think the sensor is measuring the pressure at the outlet of the turbine. With flow blocked, there are no flow losses so ts the pressure is the same from the turbine to the outlet of the box.

Does your unit have a pressure readout?

I am trying to find the magic combinations of caps, orifices, needles, pressures, thinning, and gun speed for different types of finishes too. I am a beginner. The combinations are infinite and not all work well.

TW

Oh, probably not. From what I understand, 9.5 is the specification for the turbine they bought to put in the unit. They are just passing that info along as a sales number. Most of the 5 stage turbines quote the same 9.5 pressure so I would assume that they are actually the same manufacturer supplying all of the HVLP vendors. The number may be a bit of sales hype but they are all the same so there is no basis for choosing one system versus another because of it. If they were more honest, they would just lose sales.

I would say from my experience in the energy business that the conditions (Max speed zero flow) at which the turbine reaches 9.5 are probably not good for the turbine. So, the unit is protected from getting to 9.5 by internal relief valve and speed control. I think this is probably the explanation but that is not the answer I got from customer service. It was an honest question from me because because I was expecting 9.5. I wanted to be sure my unit was normal. I think the company representative did not know the answer so she just gave me some run around. I am ok with the unit as it is. I would like to know what other people get from their units under the same conditions. (Cold turbine, hand over the outlet for a second or two.)

I think your 1035 model does not have a variable speed motor but it does have an internal relief valve so you can use it with a non-bleeder spray gun.