Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Aluminum Pipe

Cutting Aluminum Pipe

Today I received my shipment of 24 gauge aluminum dust collector pipe. The main line is 8" diameter and the side pipes are 5".
    I am wondering what the best way to cut the pipe would be? I have a 12" miter saw but don't know what type of blade to use or if there is a better method. I also purchased clean outs that mount into the pipe. I think that I will have to drill 4 holes into the corners and connect them with my jigsaw.

I've been away from this site for awhile as I have been building a Nyle hardwood Kiln but I really would like suggestions.

Blog Entries
    I would think that a miter saw would not be a good tool to use on an unsupported sheet metal tube. As it cuts through the side the teeth are likely to grab the metal and tear it up. A drill and a nibbling tool would be a safer tool.

My first thought is to use a set of shears (power or manual). A portable band saw with fine tooth blade is another option. Might also want to mark the cut line with masking tape.

Put a screw clamp around it to provide a straight cut. Might have to get a big one!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

You might try giving Oneida a call for advise. I would not use a miter saw, the blade will likely grab the tube and wreak havoc. You could lay out a straight line and use a hacksaw but it would be tedious.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Maybe cut a circle of soft wood just big enough to fit tightly inside the tube. - Then cut through both the aluminum & metal with a CMS, a large miter box, or a good band saw,

Otherwise, drill a hole, support the tube well (on three sides if possible) with the cut line JUST off your table, and cut it with a jigsaw. (Moving in an upwards direction, and turning the tune often to keep the cut in front of you.)

Glenn,

When I did mine, I just traced a cut line around the pipe and cut if with a jigsaw using a bimetal blade. Extreme accuracy in the cut isn't import - being out by half an inch doesn't matter.

You could drill a hole to start the cut, but I just used the jigsaw tangent to the pipe to get the cut started. This approach worked fine on 6" and 8" pipes.

Blog Entries
    I'm using a jig saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade to install my 26 ga. steel duct & it works great. I use a piece of poster board wrapped around the duct to mark a line & then cut to that line.

It would probably work just as well on 24 ga. aluminum

Yes,on the poster bd above.A 3-4 inch wide pce creates a poor mans "pipe wrap"(sold at welding supply).

We just use handheld shears to cut probably 90% of our thin wall tubing/ducts.Poke a hole with a cheapy(but sharp) wood chisel.Realizing,aviation snips are more suited for taking small amts off a part vs cutting right down the middle of a sheet.So,cut a little long(1/2" or so)and then cut to the line.For ducts that have to be dead nuts......we just use a vert. 6x48 sander,very lightly squares them up.Just can't remember the last time we cut any duct with a saw....not sayin it doesn't work.Good luck with your project.

Edit to add;we also use air powered,hand held shears
    Last edited by Brian W Smith; 06-13-2015 at 8:01 AM.

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I knew that I would get some very good ideas here.

If you use a jigsaw, (why not?) I HIGHLY recommend these blades:

Bosch T 121 BF3

They cut smoothly and last a long time. (even with steel & iron.)

Just curious, why aluminum? Seems like an odd choice.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I'm using a jig saw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade to install my 26 ga. steel duct & it works great. I use a piece of poster board wrapped around the duct to mark a line & then cut to that line.

It would probably work just as well on 24 ga. aluminum
    This is what I did as well. No problems getting decent cuts.

My mistake. It is galvanized. I used my jigsaw and a bi metal bit from Bosch. Worked like a charm.

I just completed a dust collection piping install. I used Spiral Manufacturing steel pipe. 4"-8" pipe. Purchased a DeWalt 12" cut off blade for my 12" pipe saw. Worked like a charm. About 1 minute per cut. On the large pipe I rotated the pipe about 4 times to complete the cut while keeping the pipe tight to the fence. De-burred the inside and outside of the of the cut with a half round smooth file. I would do it no other way!

HAVE FUN.