Thread: Old Growth Pine ... Vases

Old Growth Pine ... Vases

Many years ago, my Dad salvaged some 80+ year old pine porch posts from the home where I grew up. Ten years ago I got them from him for some TBD future wood projects. Just finished up a couple of vases using some of that nice wood. The wood posts are about 5-3/4 inches square. The finished vases are 9 inches high, ~ 5 inches dia / 5-1/2 inches square, with a 2" hole drilled 7-1/2 inches deep for glass flower vase inserts that I found locally. Finished with a couple of coats of Antique Oil Finish. I like the knots and blemishes of this old growth pine ... 80+ years of character on display.

Here are a couple of photos. The one on the left is the raw post section during paint stripping ... a couple of the coats of gray paint were put on by me as a boy 50+ years ago ... we used to paint the porch about every 7 years.

Tom

IMG_3685 (Small).JPGIMG_3690 (Small).JPGIMG_3692 (Small).JPGIMG_3688 (Small).JPG

That is some beautiful wood. Not easy to find something that is that dry and stable. Stick some flowers in there, sir!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Nice repurpose Tom especially since you already had labor into those pieces. Good story.

I like it when there is a good story behind the wood. Way to go!
    If it's not fun, you'er not doing it right.

Great wood. Great story. Lots of memories to pass down. I bet you could still smell pine when you turned - almost smell the old pine here.

Really neat to take something that old and make what you did here, a usable piece for the home and a story to go with it. Nice work!

Vases and story are both wonderful! Pine is not the easiest wood to turn and get a good finish. The old growth may be a different story too.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN