Thread: Hitachi B600A bandsaw repair

Hitachi B600A bandsaw repair

Hi; Has anyone replaced the tensioning spring on one of these older Hitachi bandsaws? It appears to me that I need to remove the wheel in order to get the entire unit off the machine, then remove the shaft and access the inner working parts of the tensioner. Am I on the right track?
    And if I need parts does anyone have a source for them? I suspect it will be a trip to my machinist friend if more is needed than just a spring. Thanks, DF

Don

What led you to believe the spring needs to be replaced?
    Generally speaking, springs are pretty robust and last for millions of cycles.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

This is the BS that takes the 3" blades?

I'm with Mike, compressing one of the stock
    tension springs seems unlikely.

What are the symptoms?
    How old is the blade you're trying to tension?

Yes this saw takes the 3" blades...I don't know for sure that it is a problem with the spring but figured I had to disassemble the unit to find out why it won't tension up. Many people have said they improved the cut when resawing by replacing the spring after many hours of use. The symptoms are that turning the hand wheel and watching the index marks just doesn't begin to put adequate tension on the blade. It could be that some threaded part is stripped. In any case it still looks like I need to take it apart. The blade is used but not used up, and the guy that has been using the saw since new says believes it should work 'cuz it always has. I will measure the length but also doubt that will be the problem as the tension is way below spec.

If the blade is still the normal length, I think you're on the right track.

I've seen the spring in these. It's out of a semitrailer suspension.
    Even money says the setting mechanism has deformed the casting
    or fixed nut that it engages.

I've seen tanks that aren't as well built as these.

I recently picked a B 600a at auction for $300.00, have added a 5hp motor and from what I can tell she really rocks. We ran some scrap white pine in 1/8" strips with the 3" blade she came with, little effort required to pass through. I have done some research though and some of the guys are claiming good results are obtained with 1" blades. Parts for this model seem scarce, other than ereplacement does anybody have other sources?

Quote Originally Posted by John Gulick View Post
    I recently picked a B 600a at auction for $300.00, have added a 5hp motor and from what I can tell she really rocks. We ran some scrap white pine in 1/8" strips with the 3" blade she came with, little effort required to pass through. I have done some research though and some of the guys are claiming good results are obtained with 1" blades. Parts for this model seem scarce, other than ereplacement does anybody have other sources?
    John,
    Not meaning to highjack the thread but.....I have owned a B 600 A since 1979 and have always wanted to upgrade the motor. Do you have any photos or info you could pass along to make the process a little easier?
    Thanks - Bill

Don,
    After 38 years of use my spring is still ridiculously strong. It is hard for me to imagine the spring is the problem, more likely it is stripped threading. Purely a guess.

Bill,

I will attempt photos (old and tech challenged), I will say the conversion was simple, used the old motor bracket, attached 2 pcs. 1 1/2" square tube with a 1/4" steel plate to attach the new motor. The 5hp may be overkill, but she rocks. My daughter is coming to our shop Wednesday, she can handle the tech end.

thanks to all in the forum,
    John G