Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical to new shop

Rod,
    Keep in mind that it was two of us working all day. When it comes to pulling the feed wires from panel to panel or from panel to box, it definitely helps to have a helper (one to pull the wire and the other to keep the wires feeding and not tangling)!

I think a lot of folks bid high and hope that you will bite so they can make lots of money. We have had licensed tree trimmers bids vary from $300-1000 for the same tree with no obstacles in our area. You should get more bids and let them know if their price is too high. The worst they can say is "no, I can't/won't do it for less"

Good luck,
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 06-26-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Blog Entries
    Not high if your are contracting it all out. But I do it all myself. Installed ton of outlets, lights and feed in my 900sf shop. Ive said it before if you can, get quote on bringing in new service to the shop. Yes you have to install meterbase, but no trenching and long expensive run of wire. And you can easily keep track of spending.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mort Stevens View Post
    Did you ask for a breakdown? $2700 doesn't seem to bad to me... I'd figure...

40' 3#8, 2" Conduit, Trenching @ $15/ft
    80amp panel, 4 c/b $400
    6 outlets $200 ea
    2 PC Lights $150 ea
    1 220v outlet $200
    ---
    $2700

Remember things like outlets include 20A duplex receptacle, j-box, 12/3 wire, cable clamp, mounting, installation, cover plate... it all adds up.

No disresect but, Where do you live, cuz that is definitely excessive. Do it yourself and save 3/4 of that quote. If you're not sure about wiring the panels you can get an electricain to do it for you and still be way under that quote.