Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone know what happened to Adam Cherubini?

Love the humor Matt and I pretty much agree with your 2 posts. However, I'm demoting King Brian to Duke.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    LOL, this is why I hang out here.

Well played gentlemen, well played.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I'm up for renewal with PWW, and about to decide to go digital since I now do lots of reading on my iPad. Having gotten a variety of woodworking magazines for 40 years, I've seen lots of articles and made lots of subscription choices. In recent years I've gotten down to PWW and FWW. Both now are having trouble keeping my interest. I think the reason is that most of what I see are in effect repeats of previous articles, and I'm no longer buying many tools. That's a factor of my age and time in woodworking. I know the publishers and editors must figure out the right mix to attract young new woodworkers and keep older woodworkers. That's a tough job. I could probably stop getting any magazines and just go back through my old stacks and be almost as happy. However, I still get a little mental boost when I open a newly arrived woodworking magazine.

I was in the same boat and decided to choose FWM, because of its better photography, number of pages and paper. Frankly, I don't need any magazine because every magazine is more or less publishing projects that have been seen in one form or another. The only exception is the method of work or shop tips column which is worth sometimes more than the rest in a magazine. PWW and FWM have the best tips in hand tools.

Simon

Shop tips.....that got me thinking... I, too, am considering letting my subscription lapse with PWM. The last shop tip winner made me wonder what they (PWM) were thinking. No offense to the submitter but it was a good solution to a problem I can't even imagine having (magnet to hold up a combination square.) Balancing the square on the end of a board? Maybe I just don't get it.

It's this section of the magazine that I remember thinking "really?" most often. Next is the "I can do that" section. This month's...really? Sorry, Megan.

I enjoyed the past articles by Mr. Cherubini. They were informative and unique to the magazine. I also enjoy some of the current authors' articles. Follansbee's articles are pretty good, normally. I'm not sure why he made the anti-Christianity comment in this last article concerning Bible boxes though. Maybe he's trying to run off a few more subscribers.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    The last shop tip winner made me wonder what they (PWM) were thinking. No offense to the submitter but it was a good solution to a problem I can't even imagine having (magnet to hold up a combination square.) Balancing the square on the end of a board? Maybe I just don't get it.
    I actually thought this was a neat idea. My Incra squares have that little recess that allows the square to rest horizontally off the end of a board but normal combo squares will tend to tip.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Why would anyone rest their squares on the end of a board? I try to at least lay them down gently on a SAFE surface.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Why would anyone rest their squares on the end of a board? I try to at least lay them down gently on a SAFE surface.
    I don't have Chubb as my armed response so I'll find an alternative. I think the article/tip was not for storing the combo square but for when you are trying to draw a perpendicular line to the edge of the board or to get a measurement from the edge of the board.

Like these photies show. The magnet is just to counter balance the heavy head.

06-tv-cabinet.jpg

toolreview6.jpg

decking-boards-s1.jpg

No disrespect to anyone who can't use both hands, but why wouldn't you just use your other hand to hold it? And, how can you follow the blade tightly if you aren't holding it?
    Dan

^^^

Hey I was just playing devil's advocate but you're right of course.

Blog Entries
    An interesting thread, particularly since yesterday's mail brought me the August edition of PWM. Like many of you I have been growing increasingly disenchanted with both the quality of content and the dwindling amount.

I must say that the latest issue was a pleasant surprise with an excellent selection of articles the appealed to me. Hopefully this will continue.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    I actually thought this was a neat idea. My Incra squares have that little recess that allows the square to rest horizontally off the end of a board but normal combo squares will tend to tip.
    I think I have seen try squares with the support tabs from Vesper Tool and this magnetic trick allows a regular combo square to be used just like that. Check out Chris Schwarz's blog on how this support tab is used; he explains its function.

By the way, I found Cherubini's articles boring enough that I always skipped his pages -- not my interest at all. On the other hand, the I Can Do pages are intended for beginners and are not much different from FWM's Fundamentals as a way to attract a wider base of readership. No magazines exist that can please all woodworkers and readers, for sure.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 06-19-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    An interesting thread, particularly since yesterday's mail brought me the August edition of PWM. Like many of you I have been growing increasingly disenchanted with both the quality of content and the dwindling amount.

I must say that the latest issue was a pleasant surprise with an excellent selection of articles the appealed to me. Hopefully this will continue.
    No longer a subscriber, I buy the issue that appeals to me and the August issue is one of them. Yes, the latest issue including Megan's moving story, the tool chest and the Tricks of Trade was what I like to see.

Simon

I am probably biased because I occasionally put pen to paper (metaphorically anyway) for the mag, but as a craftsman I really believe Popular Woodworking is worth reading. Opening up to new authors and new ideas is a great way to ensure we don't simply see the same tips & tricks, same router table jigs, and same tired 18th c. projects (there are so many others to choose from!) over and over.
    Last edited by Zach Dillinger; 06-19-2015 at 1:24 PM.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

My larger Starrett squares have the little tab to support the beam,and have had it for many years. I have several Vesper squares,too. Sort of traded gifts.