Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly G0766 - Dilemma

Let's hope for a happy ending all around. Good luck.

Red
    RED

Thanks to all of you. I have had a bit of a stressful few days with all of this, but I hope it'll all come out in the wash.

UPDATE: We have the go ahead for me to be in debt for the rest of my hopefully long life. The house will be in need of TLC and a lot of repairs, but the schools for the kids are top-notch (for TN, that is), and the yard is big and flat. There's adequate space to land the Grizzly G-0766, so when I get the confirmation it has arrived in USA, I can give them the new address. The house has barely enough electrical to suffice (I did locate an unused 220v outlet in the Master BR, that I can relocate below into the garage to power the lathe). I will have a room for designing and hand engraving that actually has AC/Heat. And I received a $25 coupon code from Grizzly for shipping that's good till the end of the year. Life is good.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    UPDATE: We have the go ahead for me to be in debt for the rest of my hopefully long life. The house will be in need of TLC and a lot of repairs, but the schools for the kids are top-notch (for TN, that is), and the yard is big and flat. There's adequate space to land the Grizzly G-0766, so when I get the confirmation it has arrived in USA, I can give them the new address. The house has barely enough electrical to suffice (I did locate an unused 220v outlet in the Master BR, that I can relocate below into the garage to power the lathe). I will have a room for designing and hand engraving that actually has AC/Heat. And I received a $25 coupon code from Grizzly for shipping that's good till the end of the year. Life is good.
    I love happy endings! Congrats, Mark!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

NICE!! Congrats Mark! Sounds like an all`s well that ends well to me.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Still have to get the new house appraised, so the loan can qualify (shouldn't be a problem, because it's the most inflated price area of Middle TN). Then the moving out, and moving in (oh, my aching back - I really am way too old to enjoy this again).

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    NICE!! Congrats Mark! Sounds like an all`s well that ends well to me.

We sold the old, moved to the new (35 years old - different) house, and although I am not really ready - I got the GRIZ Call. The unit will ship on Thursday August 13th via SAIA Freight. Grizzly has it noted to open the crate and inspect to make sure the unit is intact and undamaged and re-secured prior to shipping to me. Hopefully I'll get decent notification to be there when it is delivered in my driveway, so I can open the crate then and there while the driver is present. If it's damaged, I will have it notated. Hopefully all will be fine, and I'll be turning by ....... sometime in a few days? Whoopee !!

BTW: I have walked 8.5 miles several days unpacking boxes, installing new garage doors, and generally making the house habitable. Previous owner was there for 10 years and never lifted a finger to fix anything, so guess who gets to?
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    We sold the old, moved to the new (35 years old - different) house, and although I am not really ready - I got the GRIZ Call. The unit will ship on Thursday August 13th via SAIA Freight. Grizzly has it noted to open the crate and inspect to make sure the unit is intact and undamaged and re-secured prior to shipping to me. Hopefully I'll get decent notification to be there when it is delivered in my driveway, so I can open the crate then and there while the driver is present. If it's damaged, I will have it notated. Hopefully all will be fine, and I'll be turning by ....... sometime in a few days? Whoopee !!

BTW: I have walked 8.5 miles several days unpacking boxes, installing new garage doors, and generally making the house habitable. Previous owner was there for 10 years and never lifted a finger to fix anything, so guess who gets to?
    Congrats all the way around Mark [except the backache! ]

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post

Great news. With all that house work, hope you get some time on the lathe!

I have been loving turning on my G0766. Bowls, plates, HFs from other people's firewood: Cherry, Mulberry, Silver Maple, Boxelder, Elm......it's been a blast. I was even able to use the WoodCut Max core system to rough out some bowl sets, which are now in bags to dry out some more.

Post some pics of what you've been making. Do you have a mobile base for the G0766, or keep it in one place? Hollowing system?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramie Johnson View Post
    Great news. With all that house work, hope you get some time on the lathe!

I have been loving turning on my G0766. Bowls, plates, HFs from other people's firewood: Cherry, Mulberry, Silver Maple, Boxelder, Elm......it's been a blast. I was even able to use the WoodCut Max core system to rough out some bowl sets, which are now in bags to dry out some more.

My lathe was delivered today at 4:30 pm. The truck driver from SAIA Freight was so helpful, he used the pallet jack to wheel it into the garage. Then I opened the crate, and voila, the hold downs were tight, the packaging was protecting all the ways and legs. It was too late to unpack, as I had to still get to HD and get the correct wiring Romex, and i had to clear an area large enough for the crate (no easy task, as we just moved in). I am very excited and thankful that I waited to get delivery at the new address. Photos tomorrow.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    My lathe was delivered today at 4:30 pm. The truck driver from SAIA Freight was so helpful, he used the pallet jack to wheel it into the garage. Then I opened the crate, and voila, the hold downs were tight, the packaging was protecting all the ways and legs. It was too late to unpack, as I had to still get to HD and get the correct wiring Romex, and i had to clear an area large enough for the crate (no easy task, as we just moved in). I am very excited and thankful that I waited to get delivery at the new address. Photos tomorrow.
    Congrats Mark! Looking forward to the pics!

IT'S A REAL THING OF BEAUTY. BELATED BIRTHDAY PRESENT TO MYSELF. Now I am going to need a bench grinder dedicated to sharpening gouges. I could use my water-cooled Crytallite Ringleader Lapidary grinder, or the jewelry buffing station, but HF has a $39 6" grinder, so what the heck. I'll probably make a Cap'n Eddie wannabee wolverine gauge, and holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Congrats Mark! Looking forward to the pics!

Congratulations, Mark. If you're going to invest in a grinder, I strongly recommend a "slow-speed" model with an 8" wheel capacity that turns at 1725 rpm. The HF grinders run great, and are fine for many things, but they turn at the conventional speed of 3450 rpm. Yes, a very experienced user can grind a gouge or chisel at that speed with the right wheel. Doug Thompson does it when grinding all the gouges that he produces, but he grinds more gouges in a month than most of us will in a lifetime. It is way too easy to remove too much material too quickly and/or overheat the metal at 3450 rpm.

15. +1 on David's advice..........a SLOW speed grinder [1725 rpm] is what you want and preferably in the 8" wheel size......trust us Mark, this will save you having to replace it in a few months as the standard most turners use is the 8" wheel and that is what most grinding jigs are made for..........this is the voice of experience, trying to help you avoid costly newbie mistakes!

Also get a grinder with at lest one white aluminum oxide wheel, preferably at least 120 grit to start......that will be plenty aggressive, and once you get some sharpening experience under your belt, then you may want to go CBN wheels or perhaps the much better 3X blue wheels from Norton.