Thread: Jerry Marcantel, Chuck Plate

Jerry Marcantel, Chuck Plate

Hi All,
    I had a chance to make one of these this afternoon and it is FANTASTIC.
    I put a small piece of Walnut on the chuck on the bark side and it was easy to position and balance. It holds just great. Particularly well for NE bowls.
    Very nice, Jerry, thanks for posting this idea.
    Peter F.

Pic two shows the NE bowl partially done on the ways of my lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few years ago I was looking for a large drive spur and someone here tipped me off to these.
    I've used them most the time since. Cheap, powerful, never get any slippage and easy to make.

I had two sizes: 3" and 5"
    Any larger blanks were bolted onto a big face plate. Then I spun up a large piece and found screw holes in bowl. So figured "why not go big?" on these.
    I made one 12" and screwed it to an 8" face plate. Spun up a 80 lbs piece without any issues.

And its easy to get the plate off the wood when you finish roughing.

Thanks for posting! As much as I surf the web for turning stuff, I've never run across that. Brilliant! I love low tech solutions...

I have one of the first ones Jerry ever made and I still use it faithfully! Thanks Jerry!! Have turned chunks of wood that are close to 100 pounds - NO problem at all!

For anyone interested in making one, here is Jerry's How-To article: Chuck Plate
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

This does work well. Also a wood chuck plate with various grades of sticky-back sandpaper works well with lighter pieces of wood. An example would be a 1" board for a lid. Clamp up and cut a reverse dovetail for a chuck grab. Stay out of the danger line naturally. Any marks are easily sanded down. Holds moreweight than you might think. Good tailstock pressure is welcome here.

thanks Jerry....works great