Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 23 gauge pin nailer

I have Bostictch pin nailer and it does everything I ask of it-would buy again in a heartbeat.

When I worked for a living, when trimming windows, we accurately measure and assemble trim on a flat job site bench. This was well before the time of pin nailers, but after biscuits were becoming common. We would install the smallest biscuit at the miter, and then nail with a 16 ga. gun, from the top to hold. May seem a bit slow to some, but don't forget the story of the tortoise and the hare-after setting up the method, two of us moved dayam quickly.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    So I am not the only fan of the 15 gauge, mine is a Hitachi. I often use mine to frame small projects like the opening I am currently working on for a new AC unit. The 15 gauge does not split/break/splinter 2x4s or 2x6s like the framing guns often do, allowing me to work closer to corners... I usually run a few screws in or reinforce with the framing gun, depending on the surfaces I have to work with. My other nail guns are a little different, SUPCO framer, SUPCO 18g brad gun, Makita 18g staple gun and a Hitachi 7/16 x 2" stapler. I use to put together wooden ware for bee hives with the small guns. The larger stapler gets used for tacking wire, screen, insulation, felt, sheathing,...in place. The larger staples can be set so they do not tear through softer/thinner materials, holding a larger surface area too.

From the posts above I guess I am missing a 16g and a 23 pin nailer. I think I can get along without the 16g but I think I might get a good deal of use out of a pin nailer for small projects, models...I just wonder which gun and what length staples I should plan on. I have usually gone for the gun that uses the largest nails/brads/staples but with the pin nailer I will not be working with 2xs, which sort of challenges my normal thought process. I am reading above that those who bought 2" pin nailers have not found the extra length of benefit and I suspect the longer pins might bend during use worse.

I have not heard anyone who has the Grex mention problems with the pins going off course. I am wondering if the more powerful guns like the Grex, Cadex and Fasco are less likely to have the issue? Maybe the more powerful guns power the thin pins through wonky grain & tough spots better? I bought my 15g Hitachi angle nailer for similar reasons from a guy that was considered the Metro Atlanta expert on nail guns. Everything he told me about the Hitachi has proven true and the small extra expense has made my work much easier. I am just wondering if those wise words apply to the pin nailers as well?
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 06-30-2015 at 10:22 AM.