Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If or when a fire strikes - what to do

As I said, I can't imagine anything I would put inside my laser ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    As I said, I can't imagine anything I would put inside my laser ...
    I'm having trouble imagining what you could put in your laser that could catch fire but easily be put out with a damp towel - but not turn into a bigger fire if left unattended.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by matthew knott View Post
    there was a good reason for it being 999 in the UK, doesnt apply anymore since the advent of push button phones
    something like to prevent accidentally miss-dialling wasn't it Matt?
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I'm having trouble imagining what you could put in your laser that could catch fire but easily be put out with a damp towel - but not turn into a bigger fire if left unattended.
    Same Rich, no fire ever starts big...they just get that way quickly
    You did what !

Well see that's the thing, to prevent the bigger fires you have to be there when the small fire starts. (and they will)
    When I had my first laser I had a fire due to I wasn't watching it. It was less then 3 feet away on my left as I was sitting at the computer doing something and glancing over at the laser every now and then. I had a piece of 1/4 BB that caught fire on the bottom side and of course the exhaust was sucking the smoke and flame down and out so I didn't think anything was wrong at a glance. Till the wood burned thru to the top of the sheet and now the whole sheets on fire and the belts, and plastic wheels on the carriage and poof major rebuild job. OH Kev it was a small sheet of BB 9x12)
    I was lucky I was in the room and not out cooking breakfast or something as I had done in the past. I was a newbie and didn't realize how quickly things can get out of control. I could have burned down the house real easy.
    So now I stand there and watch it and have a spray bottle right there. I also have a Co2 in the Kitchen which is about 10 feet from the laser.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Last step...

Empty underwear.

So in people's experience, the most fire susceptable material is paper/card (?) down to anodised aluminium (?) and I assume that engraving or just cutting also has an effect on the materials position in this list.

So, in people's experience, what is the list from most to best fire resistant material with regards to what people put in their lasers?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Taylor View Post
    So, in people's experience, what is the list from most to best fire resistant material with regards to what people put in their lasers?
    There is nothing that can burn but can't develop into a fire. If you can cut it, it can probably start a fire. Not much point in ranking them since they are all equally capable of burning down your shop/house.

I use a strong air assist and never get a flare up. At least as long as everything works as intended. Many things could happen to change that, doesn't matter what the material is.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

A couple of years ago a new customer called me and said he needed a new person to do laser engraving of some awards. I asked him what happened to the guy that was doing the work before. Turns out the guy had 2 lasers in his house and while running a job on both lasers he decided to go out to lunch. When he returned he had no lasers or a house either.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Bert forgive my ignorance, but what's BB? Baltic Birch?

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Well see that's the thing, to prevent the bigger fires you have to be there when the small fire starts. (and they will)
    When I had my first laser I had a fire due to I wasn't watching it. It was less then 3 feet away on my left as I was sitting at the computer doing something and glancing over at the laser every now and then. I had a piece of 1/4 BB that caught fire on the bottom side and of course the exhaust was sucking the smoke and flame down and out so I didn't think anything was wrong at a glance. Till the wood burned thru to the top of the sheet and now the whole sheets on fire and the belts, and plastic wheels on the carriage and poof major rebuild job. OH Kev it was a small sheet of BB 9x12)
    I was lucky I was in the room and not out cooking breakfast or something as I had done in the past. I was a newbie and didn't realize how quickly things can get out of control. I could have burned down the house real easy.
    So now I stand there and watch it and have a spray bottle right there. I also have a Co2 in the Kitchen which is about 10 feet from the laser.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

WOW that's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    A couple of years ago a new customer called me and said he needed a new person to do laser engraving of some awards. I asked him what happened to the guy that was doing the work before. Turns out the guy had 2 lasers in his house and while running a job on both lasers he decided to go out to lunch. When he returned he had no lasers or a house either.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Bert forgive my ignorance, but what's BB? Baltic Birch?
    yes Baltic Birch
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I've started transfer tape on fire a few times. I've caught a sheet of paper on fire a couple of times. Towels put those out. Most of my fires are of stuff in the laser I'm not even engraving, started by the beam before it gets to the lens-boxes taller than the beam path, gloves that I laid on the edge of the cabinet that hung over... Bad habit I have, leaving stuff in or around the cabinet, but I'm working on it...

I've never caught Rowmark or plex on fire. Or wood. And I do a lot of stainless and aluminum.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle