Thread: Proper Tool for Hacking Niche in Workbench?

Proper Tool for Hacking Niche in Workbench?

Now that I have come to the amazing realization that I can sharpen chisels, I have been at work. I took out my other two Home Depot chisels and fixed them up. Then I had nothing to chisel. But right in front of me, I saw a niche I had cut in my workbench. I put it there a long time ago with a drill and a rotary burr type of thing. It provides clearance for a tool that mounts on the bench.

The niche was really coarse, so I started poking around on it, and I learned a few things about chisels. It's starting to look more like a feature I created on purpose and not through some unfortunate shop accident.

A question arises: what is the proper tool for making a little cutout like this, if you want it to look good? Right now I'm peeling and scraping with the chisel, but it has occurred to me that I might as well ask if this is what a serious Neanderthal would do.

Is it okay to use the end of the chisel like a scraper? It seems like there are some places where the cheesy 2x6 wood is determined to tear out unless I do this. I'm sure it will be hard on the edge, but now that I'm a big sharpening expert, that will only take a couple of minutes to fix.

06 17 15 ammo press niche on workbench.jpg
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

can't tell if that is a level bottom or if it slopes up to the bench top.

if it is level, i would define the edges with a chisel and use a big chisel to chop/pare out the big stuff, then clean up with a router plane. if you don't have a router plane (or if the bottom is sloped up), just keep using the chisel.

if it is sloped, you can cut a series of kerfs with a saw and then chop out the 'triangles'. then smooth out the face by paring with a chisel. think of it like a stopped chamfer.

A question arises: what is the proper tool for making a little cutout like this, if you want it to look good?

Looks kinda like your making a mortise for a hinge and for that I'll sometimes set up a router plane just for the last pass so all the mortises are the same depth. Takes some of the guess work out. Workmanship of certainty. But a chisel is used to define and hog out and if only doing one door, or I don't really care bout the look, I'll do it all with just a chisel, well a mallet too.

Is it okay to use the end of the chisel like a scraper?

Sure, at least I do it. Usually not for scraping the wood itself but for cleaning dried glue out of a joint or something like that.
    Last edited by Judson Green; 06-17-2015 at 3:45 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

A router plane! An excuse to buy a new tool!

There is a slope upward to the bench.

It looks ten times better now. I did more work on it and sanded it a little.

I was using the end of the chisel sort of like a plane, except that it was nearly perpendicular to the work.

Seriously, two words. Router plane. The medium sized one from LV is a fantastic tool for the money. One of those tools you wish you bought much earlier!
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...30,41182,48945.
    Paul

I don't see this as a router plane job, primarily because of the slope. I see marking the lines, cutting the ends with a saw, then paring to the lines with a nice wide chisel. On the other hand, if it is a flat bottom and not sloped as it appears to me, then router plane if you have one, other wise, still a chisel job
    Last edited by Pat Barry; 06-17-2015 at 9:51 PM.

Hi Steve,

I have cut lots of mortises for door hinges in the door and jamb using a combination square, utility knife to mark the hinge locations, and a hammer and chisel. You don't need the bed of the mortise to be neat because the hinge will cover that up, but, by paring away I could have made the bed of the mortise look nice.

So yes, I think a chisel is just fine for that job.

Stew

Blog Entries
    So yes, I think a chisel is just fine for that job.
    +1 on what Stew and others have said.

Hinge mortices are fairly easy with a chisel after one has done a few of them. Most of the time I like to make mine smooth so there isn't any hinge rocking.

On a larger surface or with some help from a Moxon vise or a jerry rigged equivalent a router plane is a fine companion to this kind of work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

9. or just use your chisel with an old woman's tooth / poor mans router plane.

post-11619-0-48626100-1370541468[1].jpg

Something new to learn about.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

If you have a particular slope in mind, you can cut a that slope into a board, clamp it into place on your bench and use it as a paring block.

On the back edge, I would knife a straight line then pare the edge. Do the same and use a paring block if you want a perfect 90.

Last is the cutout. To get where you are now I would have made cuts every 1/2" or so, cross grain, then pared away. If you are not 100% on your paring skills this can be a good skill builder, but you can also use a router plane.

I used to use a router plane alot, now very little. The chisel is much quicker but is only as accurate as the user, the router plane is usually very accurate but takes longer.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.