Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golf: I don't get the rules of the game!!!!!!!!

Golf: I don't get the rules of the game!!!!!!!!

For all the Golfers out there, explain the rules to me. I just don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the big deal about making everyone be quiet when the player makes a swing on the club or putting the ball in the hole ? Everyone has to be whisper quiet or God forbid, the Golfer looses his concentration ! I have played the game with headphones playing Led Zeppelin!!!! I didn't need the quiet!!

Like I said , I don't get why I can hit the ball to the hole with music blasting , and other Golfers need complete silence!

I am with you. They are holding the US Open about a mile from my house this week. They closed down the hiking trails, park, access to the beach, the dog park, starting six weeks ago. This week all the roads are closed for 10 blocks around the course, I had to go an extra 4 miles just to get to my gun club Monday. The city is paying 50.000 for extra security when we are already in over 50 million owed for a failed project. To park, you have to park you have to park in another city 14 miles away and take the shuttle.
    All this so a bunch of over paid men can hit a golf ball around what use to be a sand pit in the quiet.

I will add, we have no fine restaurants, hotels, or motels here.
    Last edited by Scott Donley; 06-17-2015 at 4:04 PM. Reason: added
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    Like I said , I don't get why I can hit the ball to the hole with music blasting , and other Golfers need complete silence!

That's why you're not winning 7 figure purses and flying in your own jet.

Anyone who wants to tell me hitting a golf ball (well) is harder than hitting a fastball, or a one timer in hockey or lacrosse or catching a football on the edge of the field with 3 guys who make me seem tiny bearing down on them, well, I don't buy that for a second. And those other sports are played with a huge amount of crowd noise.

Golfers are big babies, and every time I see the silence thing happen during a game, I laugh. It's ridiculous.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I made my money in golf by carrying the bags and raking the traps.

Most of the time being quiet doesn't keep those duffers from making a bad shot.

Before computers all the 'hackers' were playing golf.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hitting a fastball or catching a football requires absolute concentration; the athlete doesn't even notice the noise.
    In golf, nothing is moving; concentration isn't required, so the least little distraction can be a problem.

I haven't played golf in 45 years, so my opinion might not be all that valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Before computers all the 'hackers' were playing golf.

jtk
    They still are! This from someone that does both.

To the OP. The game of golf is at least 80% mental, many would say more. Sure some physical ability is needed but you do not have to hit the ball from the tee 350+ yards to be decent at golf. You do, however, have to know where the ball is going and to do that takes an enormous amount of focus. I'm not one of the anal ones about noise but I do prefer those around me show some etiquette when I'm approaching the ball.

Sam Snead once pointed out to Ted Williams that hitting a golf ball was harder because baseball players don't have to play their foul balls.

Sustained noise doesn't always bother the golfers. Check out some of the first tee action in recent Ryder Cups when the golfers were actually exhorting the crowds to get loud. It's when it's very quiet and then a sudden, unexpected noise occurs that it gets to them. I suppose if the noise was deafening and then went dead silent in the backswing it might also throw them.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I don't understand golf, either. It takes all day, it's expensive, and it's meaningless. Even if I were to become a better golfer, what purpose would it serve?

There are many, many things I'd prefer to do than play golf. However, I get roped into playing occasionally by my wife.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-17-2015 at 7:59 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martin View Post
    For all the Golfers out there, explain the rules to me. I just don't get it!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the big deal about making everyone be quiet when the player makes a swing on the club or putting the ball in the hole ? Everyone has to be whisper quiet or God forbid, the Golfer looses his concentration ! I have played the game with headphones playing Led Zeppelin!!!! I didn't need the quiet!!

The prize money riding on your ability to make one shot is not nearly as significant as theirs ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Being quiet is not in the rules. It's just courtesy. I enjoy golf as much as making sawdust and shavings-especially playing for someone else's money. I'm sure a lot of people think woodworkers spending weekends in their garage making something, or coddling a new tool think there's some weirdness there too.

I think it is totally boring, and have never seen the attraction-too expensive, time consuming, etc. Some folks must really love it though-not me.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I don't understand golf, either. It takes all day and it's meaningless. Mike
    You understand the game perfectly.

Almost every shot requires some sort of finesse, and no shot are you simply trying to make contact or kill the ball, even with the driver. It requires skill that doesn't come easy.

One hole as an example where you only need to hit straight shots. It's a par 5 565 yard hole. The fairway narrows to 30 yards wide at the top of the hill 280 yards away. You know the maximum you can hit your driver is 285 yards. If you hit it hard enough to crest the top of the hill, it will roll for another 30 yards. You're playing in a group of four for $100 per hole. That's $300 profit if you win this hole, and most likely cost you a hundred if you put one in the woods. Are you going to lay up, and play safe, or are you going for the top the hill? At best, if you do, there are other variables, and possible trouble on your second shot. This is one shot of 72, if you make par on the course.

It might be boring watching it on TV, if you don't understand the game, but it's rarely boring playing, even on a bad day.