Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly G0490X jointer mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Svetozar Misljencevic View Post
    I know this is a very old thread but wanted to check if this solution is still holding up after all these years. Anyone else tried it?

I'll most likely have to do it because the motor pulley keeps sliding off.
    My pulleys had two set screws. I used some blue lock-tite, removed, reinstalled all set screws before I ever used the jointer. I have not had an issue with the pulley.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

2. Yeah, I haven't done that with mine. Bought it used and wasn't aware of this issue. Once the jointer started making noise it was too late. Both set screws were gone and the key was chewed up badly. Even the motor axle is damaged (key channel)....Hoping that suregrip bushings can hold onto axle with damaged key channel...I'll try it out and see how it goes

3. Just a quick update. The QD bushing/pulley has been working well so far. Paired with a link belt, the jointer operates with less vibration and noise compared to when it used the original micro ribbed v-belt.
    Here are a few additional tips:
    • The QD bushing comes with a key slot that is narrower than 5mm, which is the size of the motor axis key. Since the key is made of a soft metal, the top part that comes in contact with the QD bushing can be carefully filed down to fit.
    • Extracting the cutter head aluminum pulley was quite challenging. I managed to do so by using a bearing puller and heating the pulley until it began to move.
    • The new Grizzly cutter head pulley had a significant amount of paint overspray, which meant it didn't fit on the cutterhead. I had to remove the paint from inside the pulley using a small Dremel sanding disc.
    • I had to significantly bend the belt guard to prevent it from rubbing against the belt.