Thread: Teak Source

Teak Source

I have a project that requires 12/4 teak boards. Anyone have a good source? I am located in Northern Colorado and have contacted some of my local suppliers. Most of them only supply 4/4 to 8/4. I'm looking for other locations and larger suppliers.

Thank you,

Jon
    Last edited by Jon McElwain; 06-17-2015 at 5:31 PM.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

There is a place in my town that deals in teak called East Teak. Might check them out - their page says they can do flat or quartersawn in sizes up to 16/4 and 20' lengths.
    I haven't personally bought from them but others here have and I haven't read anything bad about them yet.
    ~Garth

Three inch thick Teak - solid?

Not only will this be premium priced,
    it's likely to be less stable than a laminate.

I'm in "price no object" boat building country,
    and the local purveyors special order stock like this.

Why must it be so thick?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Not only will this be premium priced,
    it's likely to be less stable than a laminate.

I'm in "price no object" boat building country,
    and the local purveyors special order stock like this.

Why must it be so thick?
    Disagree on stability. Teak isn't so easy to glue, I'd take the solid over laminating. I do agree you will pay a lot for the pleasure. I did several stories of large teak stair treads several years ago, 16/4 teak, it was very stable, timbers tend to stay flat and don't move so much as thinner stuff.

Foreman at the shop where I work recently did a large table in teak, he shopped around and wound up ordering from East teak, most of our suppliers buy from them anyway, so they were the best price, shipped direct. It helps if you can ship to a commercial address with fork lift, otherwise you may need to ship to a terminal and pick it up from there depending on volume. East teak will apparently sell and ship fairly small quantities. Maybe fed ex freight is an option if the quantity is limited?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

An acquaintance has bought from Pacific Coast Teak, and was happy with them. Of course, teak costs are jaw-dropping.... http://pacificcoastteak.com/teak-lumber/

Jon, Contact Diamond Tropical Hardwoods 215 453 2169 for teak, and see what they can do for you. They state that they own farms/plantations and grow the material. My own purchase from them was small quantity of boards for drawers.
    Enrico

Another vote for East Teak in Sultan, WA. Google them, they will pop right up. Great folks to work with. I'm the shop teacher at Sultan high school and they have been very good to us, and I have purchased teak, sapele and other hardwoods from them for my own projects. Regardless of where you buy it, it's going to be heart-stoppingly expensive.

Another company in LA California called Pacific Teak .. I was impressed by their pricing..

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I did several stories of large teak stair treads several years ago, 16/4 teak, it was very stable, timbers tend to stay flat and don't move so much as thinner stuff.
    The local boat builders use Tightbond III for interior construction with Teak.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-teak-glue-up

Stair treads that were resawn to a heavy 3/4, no doubt.

I'll ask the question of the OP again - why must it be so thick?
    Plainsawn Teak, like any other lumber will move along the growth lines with seasonal changes.

Quartersawn Teak is hideously expensive, due to the waste generated in rolling the log to get the orientation correct.

Thicker stuff imparts higher forces on the substrate, underlying cabinetry, framing, etc.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 06-18-2015 at 8:02 AM.