Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: G0766 Arrived and Set Up-- No issues

G0766 Arrived and Set Up-- No issues

Hi guys,
    I just picked up my G0766 from the shipping terminal yesterday, got it unpacked, set up and running last night. A few bolts on the packaging material were loose, but they were snug enough (and they were enough bolts) that nothing moved during shipping. The lathe didn't have any blemishes or anything. A few bolts on a couple of the nameplates/warning panels were a touch loose-- but only a quarter turn or so. Nothing important was loose (and I checked everything) and it runs like a champ.

Also, my Hurricane HTC125 chuck screwed right on to the spindle with the face of it flush and sung against the machined face/collar on the lathe. So try yours before you decide to file anything as some others talked about.

The tool rest is a bit high and I'll be raising that note with Grizzly.

I'm not posting this to flaunt or anything, I just wanted to offset a few of the "Only 4 people said they have a G0766 and 1 had problems so 25% of all of the machines must be cr*p". Mine arrived shiny and runs smooth. Besides the tool rest, I have zero complaints and quite frankly I'm still pretty darn excited about my purchase.

Congrats Matt. It is a beast isn't it? Enjoy every minute. I absolutely love mine and I can't imagine what more I could want.

Great news, Matt. I am excited for you. I cannot wait to get settled, and take delivery on mine. I have accumulated a few piece of wood to get turning on, and the new house is under contract to close same day we sell ours. By July 247th I will be ready.

Nice to hear Matt, I'm that 1 you mention above, my replacement lathe is suppose to ship next week and hope to have that same experience as you this time. Please do contact Grizzly about the tool rest, the more that do, the more likely we'll get a resolution. My Nova Titan did not seat properly on the spindle face, good to know some brands do. Something we were aware of might be the case but, hoped it had been addressed. I'm not aware of any other decent lathe brand where it's a reported problem.

Enjoy that new machine!
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

I asked this question in a different thread but didn't get any responses.

Only real question I have is that the nut for the headstock and tailstock weren't lock-nuts like the banjo. The parts list shows them all as non-locking....and different part numbers? Should I replace them with lock-nuts?

Did everyone else's come with the same configuration of nuts? Will the non-locking nuts work loose? I would guess the head stock would stay pretty good but moving the tailstock a lot would cause it to loosen quicker.

If you call/email Grizzly about the tool rest height, they will ship you a new tool rest that works at no cost to you and you keep the original tool rest that came with the lathe.

Glad to hear that you had no problems with shipping, same here.

Red
    RED

Congrats on your new lathe!! I got to see one in person and I was very impressed. They are one sweet machine!!!!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Belton Garvin View Post
    I asked this question in a different thread but didn't get any responses.

Only real question I have is that the nut for the headstock and tailstock weren't lock-nuts like the banjo. The parts list shows them all as non-locking....and different part numbers? Should I replace them with lock-nuts?

Did everyone else's come with the same configuration of nuts? Will the non-locking nuts work loose? I would guess the head stock would stay pretty good but moving the tailstock a lot would cause it to loosen quicker.
    I put the locking nut underneath my banjo......That is the part that gets moved the most. What I actually think is that it belongs underneath the head stock.........for my particular setup in my smallish shop, that was the best configuration for me. My former G0698 had the lock nut on the headstock, and the instructions on the new 0766 in the manual speak of frequently checking the tension on that banjo.....it is normal, and some turners put some teflon plumbers tape on the bolt because they wanted that nut to stay in the same position.......certainly an easy tweak to make if one so desires to do it.

I see no need to replace any of them........no issue, just tweaking to suit the individual.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

9. Quote Originally Posted by Matt Schrum View Post
    Hi guys,
    I just picked up my G0766 from the shipping terminal yesterday, got it unpacked, set up and running last night. A few bolts on the packaging material were loose, but they were snug enough (and they were enough bolts) that nothing moved during shipping. The lathe didn't have any blemishes or anything. A few bolts on a couple of the nameplates/warning panels were a touch loose-- but only a quarter turn or so. Nothing important was loose (and I checked everything) and it runs like a champ.

Also, my Hurricane HTC125 chuck screwed right on to the spindle with the face of it flush and sung against the machined face/collar on the lathe. So try yours before you decide to file anything as some others talked about.

The tool rest is a bit high and I'll be raising that note with Grizzly.

I'm not posting this to flaunt or anything, I just wanted to offset a few of the "Only 4 people said they have a G0766 and 1 had problems so 25% of all of the machines must be cr*p". Mine arrived shiny and runs smooth. Besides the tool rest, I have zero complaints and quite frankly I'm still pretty darn excited about my purchase.
    Congrats Matt! Sounds like you are off to the races! If yours performs as good as the unit I got, then hubba hubba!
    What is the serial number on yours?

Congrats Matt! I think they will get all the bugs worked out shortly. Happens with just about Any new product. Glad to hear you are enjoying yous!
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Red Bemont View Post
    If you call/email Grizzly about the tool rest height, they will ship you a new tool rest that works at no cost to you and you keep the original tool rest that came with the lathe.

Glad to hear that you had no problems with shipping, same here.

Red
    Good news! We contacted Grizzly and our new rest is on the way!
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Good to hear about the rest guys. I emailed their tech support and I'll see what I hear back. I'm actually out of town for a wedding at the moment, but il check my serial number when I get back. Also, for the question regarding the nuts, only my banjo had the locking nut. We'll see how it works, but I'm not too concerned at the moment.

enjoy......

14. Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Good news! We contacted Grizzly and our new rest is on the way!
    Thom......what rest are they sending? When they called me, they offered the rest off the G0632, [clone of the Jet 1642 evs] which when I looked at the pic, just appeard visually from the pic on the website to be a bit too short. Since I had already modified mine, and gotten Robust rests, I declined it.

Did they say whether or not they had gotten more from the factory or mention how they fixed the issue?

15. Im curious about the rest too. Grizzly took care of my other issues but I briefly mentioned the tool rest in my original email to them and they have never said anything about it.