Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite quotes

My dads favorite when we were kids.

"If I have to get up out of this chair it wont be for nothing"
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity".--Darrel Royal, football coach
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Whether you think you can or you can't....you're right.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

"Go ahead, make my day"

"This above all, to thine own self be true and it follows as the night the day thou canst not then be false to any man". Shakespeare

"Paint a picture on your mind of what you want to be and that is what you are."
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 06-19-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

"There is no peace," says the Lord, "for the wicked."
    –Isaiah 48:22

"The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything, the young know everything."
    –Oscar Wilde

Hey, you, get off of my cloud
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

“And he gave it for his opinion, "that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind, and do more essential service to his country, than the whole race of politicians put together.” Gulliver's Travels

'I hate a Roman named Status Quo!' he said to me. 'Stuff your eyes with wonder,' he said, 'live as if you'd drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask no guarantees, ask for no security, there never was such an animal. And if there were, it would be related to the great sloth which hangs upside down in a tree all day every day, sleeping its life away. To hell with that,' he said, 'shake the tree and knock the great sloth down on his ass.' Fahrenheit 451

“…the newspaperssaid, ‘Indians vow to endeavor to persevere.’ We thought about it for a long time; ‘Endeavor to persevere.’… And whenwe had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union.” Lone Watie

"Check out the big brain on Brad”. Jules

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    One of the best "What we've got here is... failure to communicate"

Now I use that one a lot.....
    Oh, so close!

"What we've got here is... failure to communicate bilingually."
    http://snltranscripts.jt.org/79/79qcamp.phtml

I remember the TV show "Fung Fu". This is from one of the episodes:

Master Po: [after easily defeating the boy in combat] Ha, ha, never assume because a man has no eyes he cannot see. Close your eyes. What do you hear?
    Young Caine: I hear the water, I hear the birds.
    Master Po: Do you hear your own heartbeat?
    Young Caine: No.
    Master Po: Do you hear the grasshopper that is at your feet?
    Young Caine: [looking down and seeing the insect] Old man, how is it that you hear these things?
    Master Po: Young man, how is it that you do not?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

From Mars Attacks! "I want the people to know that they still have 2 out of 3 branches of the government working for them, and that ain't bad."

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. — Inigo Montoya, in the movie, The Princess Bride.

Rudy, you can't have no idea how little I care. — Monte Walsh, in the movie, Monte Walsh

Be very, very careful what you put into that head, because you will never, ever get it out. — attributed to Cardinal Thomas Wolsey (c. 1473–1530)

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations,
    or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.
    — John Adams (1735–1826)

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. — Carl Sagan, in the book Cosmos
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

In the finish dept..........."Move the dry spot around".One of my alltime favs.It refers to how you spray,and the overlap.

Another...."A fly may sting a stately horse and make it wince,but one is still a stately horse,and the other is still a fly".

In M/C world....."Was faster than you,just before I wrecked".WRT;racing/riding in the wet

Blog Entries
    This is just a few of my collection of quotations. Many great and even unknown people have said remarkable things.

"Anyone who isn't totally confused just doesn't understand the situation." - Edward Murrow

"Don't be so humble - you are not that great." - Golda Meir

"His ignorance is encyclopedic" - Abba Eban

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." - Henry Ford

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." - Paul Erdos

"Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte

"If you are going through hell, keep going." - Sir Winston Churchill

"I have not failed. I've merely found 2000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Alva Edison

"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

"Black holes are where God divided by zero." - Steven Wright

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." - Frank Zappa

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

"If you haven't got anything nice to say about anybody, come sit next to me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde

"Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same." - Oscar Wilde

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before." - Mae West

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Sir Winston Churchill

"I worship the quicksand he walks in." - Art Buchwald

Then there is my tag line...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind" - John Mellencamp