something of such undeniable value that a man
    wants to have it always with him – the
    perfection of form announces that it is from the
    hand of a master.”

Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of Genji,
    first quarter of the 11th century
    E.G. Seidensticker, translater, 1987.

ron

Wow! That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it? I may have to steal that for my "signature" line. (Not that I'd qualify by any stretch, but it's a wonderful thing to aspire to, isn't it?) Thanks Ron.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I heard a good one today. Two technical guys were arguing about how to do something - one wanted a simple solution and the other wanted a fancy solution. The one who wanted to keep it simple finally said: "Joe, the problem here is that I am a Plumber and you are a Poet."

"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - Winston Churchill

Something I came up with in the process of raising children, "Do what you have to do so you can do what you want to do." They heard that many times.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

At 73 years old, when people ask me to build stuff I tell them everybody is trying to work me into a late grave because it's too late for an early grave.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I have met a lot of hardboiled eggs in my time, but you're twenty minutes
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. Oscar Wilde

may the swartz be with you
    I've got to get me one of these

Demi Moore from GI Jane you know the one
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I don't know look at the last 2 elections

Quote Originally Posted by John Pratt View Post
    When talking about the stupidity of people in society; "You must always remember that half the population has an IQ of less than 100." ~ attributed to one of my college professors

"There is usually only a limited amount of damage that can be done by dull or stupid people. For creating a truly monumental disaster, you need people with high IQs." ~ Thomas Sowell
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I wish common sense was more common!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    Common sense is so rare these days it should be considered as a super power!
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I love Will Rogers. Two of my favorites quotes of his:

"You cannot borrow yourself out of debt"
    "Being poor is a problem but being rich ain't the answer"
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

“Musical innovation is full of danger to the State, for when modes of music change, the fundamental laws of the State always change with them.”
    Plato, The Republic

Pretty amazing, considering it's nearly 2500 years old. Those of us old enough to have lived through the birth of Rock and Roll, the British invasion and the protest songs of the 60's - - and watched the laws & society follow those changes can attest to how valid the statement is.

Another of my favorites...

"Pretty bold talk for a one eyed fat man"....Robert Duvall - True Grit.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

One that's stuck with me for a long time came from a boss of mine. There was an old timer that was a hack, more or less, but he thought he knew everything and he was the best. The boss knew a lot more than he did. The boss told him to do something a certain way and came back later to find the old guy doing it his own way. The boss stopped him and told him that he had been told exactly how he wanted it done and was expected to do it that way.

The old guy said "I've got 20 years experience doing this"(implying the boss didn't know what he was talking about), to which the boss said "No, you've got 1 year's experience 20 times" (implying he hadn't progressed in those 20 years).
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

another that gets used frequently, "that's good enough". I remembered that I used it when I was a kid and the old man smacked me across the side of the head. He said, " it is either good or it is not".
    ron

here is 3 more from the old man and the first 2 were more than likely aimed for me when I was a kid.
    "little boys are better seen than heard"
    "if the organ grinder is speaking , he doesn't expect the monkey to but in"
    and the next is one that I heard him speak to someone one day
    " I've p----d in the fire and have seen better men than you come out in steam".
    If he was alive he would be 116 this year but haven't seen him for 50
    ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron david View Post
    here is 3 more from the old man and the first 2 were more than likely aimed for me when I was a kid.
    "little boys are better seen than heard"
    "if the organ grinder is speaking , he doesn't expect the monkey to but in"
    and the next is one that I heard him speak to someone one day
    " I've p----d in the fire and have seen better men than you come out in steam".
    If he was alive he would be 116 this year but haven't seen him for 50
    ron
    well, I like him anyway!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.