Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are there any interior paints which are really "one coat"?

We used an egg shell in the bedrooms. Covered in one coat.
    Behr.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Do you guys save the rollers or do you throw them away as soon as you're done painting? be honest now.

Quote Originally Posted by ken masoumi View Post
    Do you guys save the rollers or do you throw them away as soon as you're done painting? be honest now.
    Throw 'em the trash when the job is finished. Will wrap them in a kitchen trash bag each night until the job is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Throw 'em the trash when the job is finished. Will wrap them in a kitchen trash bag each night until the job is finished.
    My wife decided to wash the 4 rollers she had used to paint the kitchen , but after a few months I took them out and dump them in trash can, she still thinks we have a few used but nicely cleaned rollers in the closet.

My wife decided to wash the 4 rollers she had used to paint the kitchen , but after a few months I took them out and dump them in trash can, she still thinks we have a few used but nicely cleaned rollers in the closet.
    You live dangerously Ken..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Simple answers? In new construction, I spray (and back-roll while wet), and on an already-painted surface, I roll. I use an 18" roller if it's going to be more than about 3 gallons, 9" roller if less. Almost always a 3/4" nap.

If you want more in-depth answers than that, you'll have to swing by Lafayette and buy me a beer or three sometime.
    Thanks Jason. I've been trying to work up the courage to tackle a full interior paint job. I've been working on it for a few years..
    Swing by Albuquerque and I'll buy a case or three.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Benjamin Moore paint is amazing. It WILL do it as long as the surface is reasonable. Of course some shades not as well but neutral earth tones will work. Pinks, oranges etc not as well. If you've never used it you owe yourself a favor. It really is that good.

I clean them. I can clean and dry a 9" roller in about 2 minutes (literally), so it's well worth it when a good 9" roller cover can be $6-7. Also, I don't have to keep as many in stock then.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    It depends. If you are just refreshing a similar color and sheen and you know how to lay it on, yes if you use a good paint, not a K-mart $10/gallon paint. Key is good paint and knowing how to carry a lot of paint to the wall with a good roller. My problem is I can roll fine, but my cutting in needs two coats. I can lay a lot more on with a roller than a brush. In fact I need to be careful I don't get runs (in the paint) when I roll. I know others will disagree, but I stick to Behr Premium for walls and have never been disappointed.
    NOW you tell me...

The red we used on an accent wall on the second floor of our foyer and later on our front door took 4 coats in both SW interior and exterior paints. Looks awesome though.

The latte color (what we referred to as "the new white" based on seeing it in every new house we looked at) that we used throughout the common areas took 2 coats. as did all our bedroom colors. None of those colors are very light and our whole house was some shade of white before.

The garage and basement stairs were white and were painted with an almost white called swiss coffee that our contractor recommended to hide a little dirt he was able to do just one coat. Probably not as wear resistant like Jason said but there were were just trying to freshen things up.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 06-20-2015 at 8:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    I clean them. I can clean and dry a 9" roller in about 2 minutes (literally), so it's well worth it when a good 9" roller cover can be $6-7. Also, I don't have to keep as many in stock then.
    Good quality rollers are worth keeping for sure, just like good paint brushes.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    The red we used on an accent wall on the second floor of our foyer and later on our front door took 4 coats in both SW interior and exterior paints. Looks awesome though.
    Use a gray primer first, then two coats of red. It will look perfect.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

My brother and I used Valspar paint with primer and did one coat in the living room and hallway. I looks great. On the other hand we did a very light blue room eggshell with non primer paint and will have to two coat.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

No offense intended here, but there are a bunch of people here who are NOT professional painters (nothing wrong with that or against DIY) who are proclaiming a very subjective "looks great after one coat." I would submit that an inspection by those with experience in the field would render, at best, a "looks okay." Once you know what to look for, and how to look for it, it's difficult to not see the difference--and sooner or later, you may very well see those differences in passing.

Just like I ignore a compliment from someone who walks into a room I just painted, briefly glances around and proclaims, "Looks great!"
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I am getting ready to paint the living room and dining room. They are currently a light beige.
    Are there any interior paints which are truly "one coat"?
    Thanks
    Dennis
    I am not an expert by any means, but I have never found one. It usually takes me two or three coats to get the results even.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)