Thread: New member & new purchase - Supermax 37x2

New member & new purchase - Supermax 37x2

I have been reading Sawmill Creek for several months and finally joined and paid. I have learned a lot from the site already.

I recently retired and am setting up a wood shop in a detached double car garage. I have quite a bit of space. Today I purchased a used pre-Jet Supermax/Performax 37x2 sander. It needs a new front rubber covered drive roller and probably a new conveyor belt. According to Supermax, those will set me back approx. $500 total. Otherwise, it is in good condition; new bearings, gears look good, etc.

I paid $350 for the sander. After repairs, I should be all in at approx. $850. Is that a decent deal for this sander? Thanks 54424-1434335834-568120.jpg

I'd say it's a pretty smokin deal, I just bought the same unit used over the winter and needed to replace the conveyor belt as well Supergrit fixed me up for around $50 I think. It probably would have been a decent deal at twice your "all in" price.

David

Incredible score Gordy.
    David, I have the Performax 25" and just noticed a small tear in the conveyor belt. Duct tape for now and would like more info on your source for new belt. Not familiar with Supergrit. Thanks, John.

Blog Entries
    Gordy, ya done good!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You did good, although I bought mine for less than that and it didn't need anything to replace/fix.
    You can buy a belt from a sanding supply. I forgot from where I bought mine but it was significantly cheaper than Supermax.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    Incredible score Gordy.
    David, I have the Performax 25" and just noticed a small tear in the conveyor belt. Duct tape for now and would like more info on your source for new belt. Not familiar with Supergrit. Thanks, John.
    John,

http://www.supergrit.com/ConveyorBelts

Hey thanks. That is a lot better price than buying directly from Supermax. Supermax lists two different conveyor belts for this sander. One is the basic abrasive 100 grit belt. The second is a polyurethane belt. Anyone know the pros and cons of the two different belts? Thanks

I'd go with the poly belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    I'd go with the poly belt.
    Yes, I agree. The poly belt tracks much easier.

Another hint. When you put the new conveyer belt on, use digital calibers to measure the length of the tensioning bolts.
    Write those numbers down. After some use, the belt will probably drift to one side or the other.
    You will loosen the tension bolts to slide the conveyer belt back into place.
    Now look at your caliper readings from last time, you can make one side slightly more tense, since you have the previous measurements.
    By keeping a log of these measurements, I was able to get mine perfectly dialed in (eventually) so it did not drift anymore.
    Otherwise, you have the frustrating exercise of the belt drifting every few hours of use.

I'm in the process of fixing the Supermax but I have an opportunity to purchase a Woodmaster 3875 for less than a $1,000. It is in really good shape. The Supermax has 2 drums and the Woodmaster has only the one. What are the pros and cons between the two. Is one better than the other?

I understand they are both drum sanders and not belt sanders, but it isn't going to be used in a production shop. If I buy the Woodmaster, I think I can easily sell the Supermax for what I have in it. What would you do? thanks

I always preferred the double drum, 80 and 120. Paper can burn easily so light passes are needed and the double speeds up an all ready slow process. You can't hog off the full amp draw of a 5 hp motor with one belt without causing premature failure so letting each drum do half the work helps. You can go 60 and 80 if just dimensioning. I agree that the poly belt is nicer but if you are sanding thin veneer, the flat belt is a better choice. Dave