Thread: Battery swelling in iPhone

Blog Entries

Battery swelling in iPhone

A couple months ago I had to replace the glass in my 3 year old iPhone after dropping it. Two weeks ago, I noticed the front glass was now bowing out. I figured it was that the glass wasn't properly clipped in. So taking it back to the shop they replaced the glass, they said and showed the battery swollen and black and waiting to explode. it was quickly replaced. I carry the phone in my front pocket. I am glad it didn't explode.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I bet your wife is, too.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    A couple months ago I had to replace the glass in my 3 year old iPhone after dropping it. Two weeks ago, I noticed the front glass was now bowing out. I figured it was that the glass wasn't properly clipped in. So taking it back to the shop they replaced the glass, they said and showed the battery swollen and black and waiting to explode. it was quickly replaced. I carry the phone in my front pocket. I am glad it didn't explode.
    a good thing the battery swelling was discovered.

Recently I had the battery on my iPhone 4s replaced. I have heard that they generate some heat when being charged and that this can cause problems. I cut a few large holes in the back (behind the battery) of the Speck case that the phone lives in to help with the heat dissipation. Was yours in a case?

Blog Entries
    Yes mine is in a case. LOML has hers (identical model) in an identical case. No issues.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

WHEW...

You are a lucky man sir.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

I have an old macbook pro laptop that I don't use any longer. It's sitting in my office, leaning against the wall. Something caught my eye recently as I sat down, something didn't look normal, so I looked at it and it was sitting a couple inches off the wall. I picked it up and the battery had expanded so far that it actually bent the aluminum until it broke the latches holding it it. It probably swelled to 1/2"-3/4" thicker than it should be. It didn't explode or release any chemicals, but it was something I had never witnessed before. It must be a tremendous amount of energy stored in those things.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

It sounds like this is not an uncomfortable problem in all phones but iPhones seem to have a larger number...

I found a couple of potential sources

• Old battery
    • Bending of phone
    • Wrong charging...over charging....bad charger
    • Software issues in which the part that controls charging is not good

Did Apple replace your screen or did you have a third party replace it?

I've seen this happen with a couple phones when a different higher voltage charger is used for a period of time. My wife had two phones that she used extensively and would drain the battery a couple times a day and they both swelled up as well.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Blog Entries
    Yes. Yes I am...!
    Shawn

Blog Entries
    AEM replacement.
    Shawn

Blog Entries
    Used original Apple chargers but many days nd night in Europe or Asia with different voltages / frequencies.
    Shawn

Happened to my old iPhone too. Honestly, given the various LiPo et al. failure modes, swelling seems to be most common in these devices, and that's a good thing. If your phone ever starts smelling like bubble gum, look out...