• She is; hot sticky air should stay outside

21 70.00%
  • Neither; both arguments have good points

3 10.00%
  • Both: correct action is...

3 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is insane here?

I'm not a big A/C fan, it tends to keep me indoors too much.

The program here is, have all the windows open overnight. Close them early (maybe 6AM) and leave them closed until the inside air is the same as the outside (if it gets there). Only then can you open the windows and patio doors again. If it's really hot, turn on the A/C when it gets too warm inside. Last summer we hit 900 indoors, but that was when we were in between A/C units. We had a portable A/C unit in the bedroom.

I've often wondered how much money I saved on electric bills over the years. Whatever it might be, the move to Florida will quickly erase that.

BTW, the correct action is: don't throw your spouse under the bus... ever.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I've pretty much got the wife trained. What we do with the A/C is dependent on both the temperature and humidity. If the dew point is 60ºF or above, the house is closed, and either the dehumidifier is running and/or the A/C if it is also warm enough outside to warrant it. The goal is 77ºF or lower inside, with 50%RH or less, but the A/C gets set for 77ºF. In the winter it's set for 66ºF during the day and 60ºF at night. We try to avoid turning it on until Nov 1. I agree with Wade about the acclimation--when I live in Brazil as a teenager, I had no problems wearing jeans when it was 95ºF, and where I lived never saw a temp lower than 70ºF. Here, the extreme range is about -20ºF to 105ºF, but mostly 0ºF to 95ºF. I definitely have a much easier time with the lower end of that range as I get older. I used to HATE the cold, but now I rather enjoy it (especially if there's snow), and HATE the heat (anything over about 80ºF).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Here is a timely example, since I am getting ready to go to Las Vegas for the AWFS show, next month. At these trade shows, we are there for several days ahead of time, setting up the machines and the booth. The trade shows don't turn on any A/C until the morning the show opens to the public. So, you are in the convention center, working your butt off in a non-climate controlled situation for several days. IWF in Atlanta is never really more than 75-80 degrees inside the convention center but it's the South and very humid, so you feel about 10X more tired than you do in Vegas, which is 5-10 degrees warmer but has no humidity. The humidity makes a big difference.

Erik
    It's worst inside LVCC once they cut the air on show days during the warmer months. Not too bad when the freight doors are open during load in/out though.

Believe it or not, it gets cold as hell in there in the winter.

The woman is ALWAYS right. Deal with it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Be a man, give it up. Happy wife is much much better than a comfy life.
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Yes Dear !
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

It takes a lot of energy to squeeze moisture out of the air and out of carpet, drywall and everything else in the house. It will not save money opening windows at night because you pick up moisture in the house. In addition,the AC runs more efficiently when the outside temperature is lower. If you have high levels outside of mold, pollen, and others you will fill your h o use with them at night.

But to each their own and what makes them comfortable and happy.

I sympathize without setting up shows in the heat. However, before I retired the work area reached 130 or so and we were wearing several layers of protective clothing. The liquid steel reached well over 3000F. I do not miss it at all.

Blog Entries
    I am probably in the opposite camp here. I hate AC and frankly prefer it warmer. Our windows have been open for 4-5 months now.

All that said, I pick my battles when LOML and I disagree.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

In the title you are actually suggesting that your wife might be insane just because she prefers fresh air. Think about the things you do that she puts up with. I honestly for the life of me think it is absolutely ridiculous that people keep their house at 68 in the summer time and 75 in the winter time. My dad kept his house at 80° during the winter and when it got to 80° in the summer the air had to be turned on. My wife prefers fresh air and I have gotten to the point where I just allow my body to adjust to the temp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

If I had the weather in Mandalay Bay California, I would not run AC or heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I honestly for the life of me think it is absolutely ridiculous that people keep their house at 68 in the summer time and 75 in the winter time.
    I agree. 73 summer and 71 winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    In the title you are actually suggesting that your wife might be insane just because she prefers fresh air. Think about the things you do that she puts up with. I honestly for the life of me think it is absolutely ridiculous that people keep their house at 68 in the summer time and 75 in the winter time. My dad kept his house at 80° during the winter and when it got to 80° in the summer the air had to be turned on. My wife prefers fresh air and I have gotten to the point where I just allow my body to adjust to the temp.

I can be a little caustic, this is just my opinion; it is fine if you disagree. Also thinking about the humidity deal, it makes some sense to need it cooler in the summer because of higher humidity.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    The woman is ALWAYS right.
    Well, I can't agree with that sentiment. Nor can I agree with the "You're wrong, I'm right" attitude, from either side, that often leads to silly battles like this. Negativity is like cancer.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Beam View Post
    Happy wife = happy life.
    Amen, Reverend.

They can close the thread, now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Here is a timely example, since I am getting ready to go to Las Vegas for the AWFS show, next month. At these trade shows, we are there for several days ahead of time, setting up the machines and the booth. The trade shows don't turn on any A/C until the morning the show opens to the public. So, you are in the convention center, working your butt off in a non-climate controlled situation for several days. IWF in Atlanta is never really more than 75-80 degrees inside the convention center but it's the South and very humid, so you feel about 10X more tired than you do in Vegas, which is 5-10 degrees warmer but has no humidity. The humidity makes a big difference.

Erik
    Finally, someone has introduced humidity as a significant factor in comfort. Perhaps that's why the same temperature in summer can feel warmer than in winter with the summer's increase in humidity.