Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Bench/Arbor from Ipe

Thanks Chris. I'm going to do some test glue ups with TB III and Gorilla Glue to see how they compare. I need to glue some spines in the ends of boards as well as glue in plugs where I will need to use face screws. Most of the deck will use hidden fasteners - over 750 of them. Good luck with your project. Look forward to seeing pictures of the finished product.

John

Very cool project - looking forward to following along! What's your plan for sealing/oiling?

Also thanks for the heads-up on the decking sale going on. Need to figure out my final amounts and place an order for my decking from them (either ipe or cumaru, haven't decided). Glad to hear ordering to the BA from them worked out well.

See post #10, Victor.

Yes, it worked out well. Have fun removing all that packaging and be sure the recycle bin is empty because it'll fill up FAST! LOL
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    See post #10, Victor.
    Ha, missed that pic somehow. More long-term though, do you think you will continue to oil it or let it go gray?

I guess we'll see how much Ipe Oil is left after the initial soak and go from there. I'm thinking my wife will want it kept that darkish, reddish, brownish color so maybe she'll touch it up as needed. I'll be curious how long it'll go before needing attention. It gets good midday sun but by 3ish the house is blocking the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Oh yeah looks good to me,Is it Ipe? I just sneezed Ipe make me sneeze.
    Oh I forgot how much IPE and me don't get along, I dont sneeze, I feel more like someone put Tabasco on my face..This is definitely my last IPE project..

I guess we'll see how much Ipe Oil is left after the initial soak and go from there. I'm thinking my wife will want it kept that darkish, reddish, brownish color so maybe she'll touch it up as needed. I'll be curious how long it'll go before needing attention. It gets good midday sun but by 3ish the house is blocking the sun.
    Chris, not sure how much sun your pergola/bench is going to get.. I can tell you that oiling the IPE and a good amount of sun equals about 120-130 degrees F, the IPE sure looks trick oiled, but your backside may not appreciate it..

Robert,

Perhaps climbing out of swimming pool, it might be bearable? I guess we'll see how that goes. Putting a towel down might be necessary, eh?

As to oiling it, are you saying it stains things? I noticed that upon carrying the wood from my garage to the back yard on my shoulder that my shirt yellowed up a bit.

Robert,

Perhaps climbing out of swimming pool, it might be bearable? I guess we'll see how that goes. Putting a towel down might be necessary, eh?

As to oiling it, are you saying it stains things? I noticed that upon carrying the wood from my garage to the back yard on my shoulder that my shirt yellowed up a bit.
    Chris, Ipe when cut, shaped or sanded somehow creates a yellow saw dust, not that dark brownish the material typically shows...

As for the the oil, I used a Penofin product especially made for Ipe.. The Ipe is so dense the oils don't penetrate very far at all, so sometimes the oils can tend to get sticky if not wiped completely off, sometimes getting all the oil off is the not the easiest of tasks.. At the very least the oil needs to be applied quite frequently if one wants the super dark brown color.. The worse that happens if one changes there mind is the Ipe will turn a greyish color..

concrete-form.jpg
    I'm forming the concrete piers to hold the 4x4 posts for the arbor. Sketch-Up is pretty cool in that it'll report the volume of the shape: 2400 in^3 or about 1.4 ft^3. So 2 1/3 80# bags of concrete ought to take care of one pier and I'll need 3 piers so 7 bags should be good (middle pier is smaller).

concrete-pier.jpg

I'm hoping to end up with this form. I'll need to pour two more like this and so I'm looking for good ideas for a concrete release agent so that I can reuse this form. I read that mineral oil works; painting works; waxing via carnauba wax works; adding poly (plastic sheeting) works. Plastic sounds like a pain to work with so I'm leaning towards digging out the car wax and smearing it all over.

concrete-pier-trim.jpg
    In case you're curious about the 'dadoes' in the form, they will take a piece of wood thus allowing me to trim out the concrete block. The inset wood will stand proud of the form by about 1/8".

C'mon, all theory. We want some REAL pics!!

I'll take some this weekend as I pour the concrete!

concrete release agent ..
    Do you change your own oil in your car? Used motor oil works well, and is free.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 07-25-2015 at 9:59 AM.

Those 80# bags will build you some character!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

pier1.jpg pier2.jpg pier3.jpg

Ready to pour some concrete!!

I epoxied the rebar into the existing concrete.

I used my heat gun to massage that pvc conduit to get the box somewhat plumbish...kinda sorta but not really.

It'll all be hidden under the bench anyway so no big deal.