Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folding Rule

Use several, extendable, two way and metric/imperial.
    The two way reads L-R/R-L (no matter which way you unfold it there is always a start at 1), extendable for IS meas. and depth of groove, metric is pretty obvious.

All the time, particularly for inside or depth measurements using the extender. It also is more comfortable to carry in my back pocket that a tape, which I still use for longer measurements.

Lee Valley had a special 3 for $20 so I ordered thinking I would use them on occasion but it's been a year and I still have not found the need to use one , maybe because I don't trust a folding rule to be as accurate as a tape measure.

I bought a Lufkin 6 months ago and have yet to really use it. I just seem to automatically reach for my 12" or 24" straight rules. But I'm convinced it'll be a Godsend for inside measurements- just haven't done any since I bought it.

Blog Entries
    I worked with a cabinet maker named Gary White in the 80's who swore by them. I didn't care for it and stuck with my tape measure. Over 30 years and I recently started looking at them. Not to replace my tape but to assist where the tape fails especially on inside measurements in the back of cabinetry or furniture. It won't replace my tape but after all these years I think I may have missed an important tool that could have helped me in certain situations. Funny how the years go by and you finally just "get it"

I've posted this before, but someone new might like it. As a kid on my first woodworking job ,the boss told me to rough cut some special old walnut he had for decades saved to make his wife a lowboy. Using a folding wood rule I carefully measured....but failed to unfold one or two rule sections. That makes stuff too short. The boards were for the top and he just about went nuts. Even all these years later if I must use a folding rule I examine it slowly and carefully ,in a cold sweat, to make sure it is unfolded all the way.

I too have lots of measuring devices, and use a folding rule when it's the best tool for the job. When you need one, it's the best choice. I have no fear about it not being accurate if used correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If you have it deployed, and take a wrong step, they're the first thing that will touch down.
    These will break easily at the brass clasp on each short section.

It's a variant of walking and doing differential calculus/texting/looking at girls/planning your OR schedule at the same time.
    That, I understand.

Speaking of girls, I was out installing the World's Best garage vac for my wife this AM, and know what pulls up in the driveway, comes all the way to the garage???

The United States Post Office Mail truck! A beautiful girl inside! All I could say, as I went to get the package was......"Wow....Pretty girl.... Mail.... Sunday?!!" She smiled and drove right on outa here.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    The United States Post Office Mail truck! A beautiful girl inside! All I could say, as I went to get the package was......"Wow....Pretty girl.... Mail.... Sunday?!!"
    Now you must order things from Amazon that will be delivered by the Post Office.

Do NOT select the 'combine packages for lower freight cost' option.

The girls seem to like lemon in their iced tea.
    Would SWMBO obeyed notice, if you were always
    neatly pressed, with iced tea at the ready -
    waiting for another package?

I think there was a Lifetime movie about this, back in the 80's.

I use one in the shop all of the time. As a Bricklayer/Stone Mason I always had a (Mason's) folding rule in my back pocket. It would go from my tool bag into my back pocket at starting time, and only come out to sit for coffee break, lunch and at the end of the day. I find them incredibly useful in the wood shop. I am glad that I have about a half dozen of older ones because I notice that some of the new ones are made in Asia and I don't trust Asian measuring devices.

I do mostly furniture so a 24" metal rule works for most things I do. For bigger, I usually use a tape. I do use a folding rule occasionally for inside measurements - but probably not more than a few times a year.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.