Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of Tools for Non-Profit

Source of Tools for Non-Profit

I've been volunteering with Habitat For Humanity for the past 5 years. Our tools are homeowner quality at best and starting to wear out and and even become unsafe in some cases. I've called and/or emailed many of the big name tool manufacturers (Festool, Ridgid, Dewalt, Makita, etc) and generally found that they are most interested in providing tools gratis to entertainers and athletes.
    Has anyone had any luck getting power tools donated or sold at a discount for a non-profit?

Have you tried local stores (non big box is probably your best bet) that sell tools? It could be good advertising if you work something out with them (hang a banner, t-shirts, etc).
    Last edited by Matt Day; 06-22-2015 at 7:28 AM.

Ken,

Take this from someone who has made thousands of phone calls requesting help over the last ten years. The big companies rarely are interested in helping mostly because you cannot connect to the decision makers. The small companies haven't had the profit margins for a very long time to be able to help. Once in a blue moon you will get lucky. You might have noticed that we rarely ever have a FreeStuff drawing here anymore, years ago we were pretty successful attracting companies who were willing to sponsor drawings.

The Freedom Pens Project is another effort I have been involved in for a decade and over the years donations from companies have dwindled to the point we can't provide pen kits and we have to stretch the funds to just pay shipping costs. Even the support of our Troops is a tough sell these days. Its not a dismal situation trying to fund a good cause but it is very difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    I've been volunteering with Habitat For Humanity for the past 5 years. Our tools are homeowner quality at best and starting to wear out and and even become unsafe in some cases. I've called and/or emailed many of the big name tool manufacturers (Festool, Ridgid, Dewalt, Makita, etc) and generally found that they are most interested in providing tools gratis to entertainers and athletes.
    Has anyone had any luck getting power tools donated or sold at a discount for a non-profit?
    I've done pro-bono work with our local Habitat chapter for a number of years, but mainly as a painting contractor (brought my own tools). I've also been involved in some of their fundraising activities, and it really seems that there needs to be a local connection, with a few exceptions. Of course, that makes it difficult for the smaller Habitat chapters or the ones that serve more sparsely populated locales. Ours has grown to building about 12 homes per year (total of close to 300 in 31 years), so it has some momentum, but from what I've seen they're still using lower-end tools mostly.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I used to be on my company's "fair share" committee and we donated to United Way, center for the blind, food bank, hospice care facilities, plus many others. Once a year representatives from many organizations seeking donations would make their plea for funds. Some would come in person and others just a paper application.
    You might try some larger companies in your area to see if they may be interested.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

That's a great idea Joe. The companies I worked for were always involved with charities.

Something I neglected to mention in my original post - has anyone had any experience with one of the crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter in raising money for a project like this?

I worked part time for a Big Box store and their answer is that the employees donate their time to help with Habitat for Humanity
    I have helped, but I too bring my own tools.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
    I worked part time for a Big Box store and their answer is that the employees donate their time to help with Habitat for Humanity
    I have helped, but I too bring my own tools.
    That's true. Some of our corporate volunteers come in to work on week days however some other big corporate sponsors send their employees to work on Saturday (ie on their own time and no loss to the company).

That's true. Some of our corporate volunteers come in to work on week days however some other big corporate sponsors send their employees to work on Saturday (ie on their own time and no loss to the company).
    Very true, but they do provide them with T-Shirts so that it promotes the employer.
    Steve Kinnaird
    Florida's Space Coast
    Have built things from wood for years, will finally have a shop setup by Sept. 2015 !! OK, maybe by February LOL ……

Blog Entries
    I work with Habitat and was told that some of the large tool manufacturers send their rebuilt returns to Habitat International where they are distributed to the local affiliates.

Many of the paternal organizations such as the VFW, America Legion, etc donate a portion of their "profit" to local organizations. Perhaps you could approach some of them. Bear in mind there are lots of causes with their hands out looking for money.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Ken, I think by looking for equipment your barking up the wrong tree. My family is involved in several local youth initiatives and one of the things we've discovered is that their are thousands of grants out their for all sorts of purposes. My 16 year old son just got a $500 grant to buy chess supplies for a small team he coaches. He's talking to an organization today about another $1000. This organization aims to award a grant in every state and were literally unable to award the Delaware grant because no one applied. My daughter just raised $700 on Indiegogo to buy cheer uniforms for a team she's starting. There are non profits that specialize in collecting and disbursing money to other nonprofits, and they have trouble finding legitimate recipients. At this point we're being held back by the incorporating process. My advice would be to search the Google, put together a good video and or Power Point presentation, and start pounding that phone and email. There's a lot more money out there than you would think.

Maybe there would be an opportunity with Kickstarter.

Good Luck with a wonderful cause...
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Might also try local suppliers that have been around the area for a while and have a vested interest in the locale.
    They normally can make their own decisions without consulting the 'home office'.

Something I neglected to mention in my original post - has anyone had any experience with one of the crowdfunding sites like Kickstarter in raising money for a project like this?
    Yes, my sister tried this and did very well. She had students from decades of dance teaching and was doing a project getting films digitized and available. Some of the keys were her own relationships and a cause they could have fun with.

I think depending on your community of relationships that people could be inspired by something this specific.

Is it legitimate to post on Sawmill Creek Classified for donations of particular used tools in good condition?

Also is there a local church or other religious community nearby that could get excited - not for a plea for money, but for giving you their used tools?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!