Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminated Chalice experiments

Thom, on your second recommendation, I think that will work. If the holes are in the extra length the laminates will not interfere.

Dave, I am using a Lennox Diemaster Bi-metal blade, 1/2" with 3 hooked teeth per inch. I would not select this one for ultimate smoothness. Nevertheless I have not tried to sand it smoother. I would not want to mess up the fit. So the glue line has not shown but some places have revealed the roughness of the cut. At a later stage I may experiment with other blades, but not yet.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

OK, Thom, here is the result of a couple of your ideas. First, I kept the laminations in the step and then exiting through the top. This was no problem in regard to rim strength, though this one does have an extra thick rim.

I have not tried the dowel idea, but did not cut through the top. Then I pushed the gluey walnut into the kerf. Then I just turned away the top after it was on the lathe.

This is curly maple and walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice. My favorite so far. I'd prefer a thinner rim, but the symmetry and contrast of this one really speak to me. Great work.

I totally agree about the rim, Mike.

Looking good, Brian! I almost missed this one, I was expecting a new thread after the bandsaw fix. I do think eliminating the circular area where the 'reeds' did not exit is an improvement and makes the top more organic. Obliviously, your idea of leaving the top intact works too! Can't slip if never separated.

Only other suggestion (other than a thinner rim, but you already know that) might be to try curving the very bottom out on the cuts for the reds. Does not have to be much to give more of an 'organic' appearance.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I am practicing making as many mistakes as possible. I think after a couple thousand I will have a little more control over the outcome

Oh, now I REALLY like these! The intertwined base really set it off! I think you have a winner on your hands1
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I'm liking the (purple heart?) red accent in the left most chalice in the third photo. It seems like something you'd have on a starship.
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
    I'm liking the (purple heart?) red accent in the left most chalice in the third photo. It seems like something you'd have on a starship.
    Thank you. That is Padauk, which also means someday it will turn dark brown.

This one is an experiment with 4 laminations on one face.

The last photo is to show the difference between a Wood Turners Finish and a shellac / blo / mineral spirits finish. The wood from the two chalices is from the same board.