Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any XP Gurus Here?

Phil, I forgot about IE8. I'll do that. Thanks for keeping with me on this.

Larry, that might be where I go. I was looking at bare bones Win7 Pro machines today...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Phil, I forgot about IE8. I'll do that. Thanks for keeping with me on this.

Larry, that might be where I go. I was looking at bare bones Win7 Pro machines today...
    I like to get my refurbished computers from Microcenter. You could pick one up for what a case for the hard drive would cost and slave your hard drive in it. Being XP and they no longer support it they may not allow you to activate it any more
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 06-24-2015 at 5:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Being XP and they no longer support it they may not allow you to activate it any more
    That's what I'm thinking.

That's what I'm thinking.
    That isn't it, they still absolutely allow XP activations.

You guys have to keep in mind that there are still new XP machines being deployed today. They're used extensively for embedded applications like ATM's.

The problem you're experiencing has been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    The problem you're experiencing has been around a long time.
    But I can't find a work-around. The computer does not respond to any attempts to activate Windows. The options are there, but when I click or run code, nothing happens. I could just reset the timer every 4 weeks but that computer is soooooo slow anyway, getting a new one would probably be the better option. I found one that should run AutoCAD pretty well for $399 and it has Win7 Pro.

But I can't find a work-around. The computer does not respond to any attempts to activate Windows. The options are there, but when I click or run code, nothing happens. I could just reset the timer every 4 weeks but that computer is soooooo slow anyway, getting a new one would probably be the better option. I found one that should run AutoCAD pretty well for $399 and it has Win7 Pro.
    I'm not trying to talk you out of the $399 Win7 Pro machine, by all means...

But for those of us that have to continue to support WinXP, the problem you're experiencing is routine and easily fixed. The IE8 is the fix almost every single time, it is the equivalent of resetting a circuit breaker.

Client to electrician: "The circuit you wired isn't working."

Electrician: "Have you checked the breaker, it may have tripped?"

A day later, client to electrician: "I've unplugged everything from the circuit except this lamp, it still doesn't work."

A day later, client to electrician: "All the wires look good none of the insulation is discolored, I don't think anything overheated. I've snugged all the screws."

A day later, client to electrician: "I'm thinking about getting a different lamp, and getting a completely different circuit wired."

Electrician: "That would certainly fix things, but you can still probably just reset the existing breaker."

A day later, client to electrician: "I looked at the circuit breaker, it is an older style I'm not sure if they still make/use them."

Electrician: "Did you try resetting it?"

In this instance, installing IE8 is the equiv. of resetting the breaker.

And BTW, sometimes you can't get IE8 to install. There have been instances where the damage that required the repair install was significant enough that IE8 won't go on. But just like checking a breaker when the lights go out, it is the first place people like me start.

Phil, I forgot to mention, just after post #31, I tried several ways to get IE8 to do its magic but no luck. BTW, that computer was born a Vista machine. It's a bit long in the tooth. I used it for CAD because no one else used it and I could leave the program open, but I had to be careful what I did or the program would crash.