Thread: Mother Duck Surprise

Mother Duck Surprise

Today I went outside to cover the photocell for our landscape lighting. Storms were moving in and people were coming to see the house so I thought it would be a plus to have the landscape lighting running.

The photocell is in a corner where the front porch meets the garage with the front steps on the other side. So I walked outside and over to the controller and then I heard something abruptly move. To my surprise, I saw a female duck. The nearest water is about 1/2 mile away. She made a fuss and quickly worked her way out of this tight corner. I was still shocked as I watched her walk away. Then I look where she was and saw 5 eggs in a depression in the mulch. Friends have joked that I have made the house an aviary sanctuary but this was completely unexpected.

I hoped Mama Duck would return and I would then do what I can to make her time here safe for her. But it's been over 7 hours now and she hasn't returned. The eggs are just sitting there.

Part of me says let Nature take its course, the other side says do something. What would you do?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I'd leave it alone.

What Fredrick said, let the duck figure it out, bet she'll be back. Depending on the stage of incubation, wild birds can be off the nest for long spells without hurting the hatch.

I just checked and she's back. Maybe she was out at the mall. We've got showings today at 3PM & 7PM. Hope they like ducks!

Blog Entries
    For several years my mother had a Mallard hen that built a nest near her house. As soon as the eggs hatched the duck took the ducklings away to the nearest water.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A nesting duck has got to be a good omen for selling a house. May work even better than burying a St. Joseph statute.

She's standing watch now!

To give you an idea where she is, if you look at the inset picture, to the left of the porch you can see the black light controller that's just over her head. The grass is much taller now than when the inset pic was taken so she's got a little better cover. I wish I had a video of buyers walking up the steps to see how they react if they see her.