Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sort of a wood turning thread: shavings as mulch?

Sort of a wood turning thread: shavings as mulch?

Early this year I mulched my fruit trees with shavings from turning. One tree has died, one is looking very sick, one is surviving without producing any fruit and the last one is doing wonderfully well producing a bounty of cherries.

I added some municipal compost on top of the shavings.

There was a bit of local walnut mixed in with the remaining maple, poplar and madrone shavings. I thought shavings were good for much. Perhaps I was wrong?

Do any Creekers have similar experience and is anyone able to shed a little light on the matter?
    Regards
    John

John. From what I have heard Walnut is a definite NO-NO.Especially if fresh. Maple & poplar would be fine. Don't know about madrone- is that Arbutus?? Sort of a loner in the woods! Ron.

Yes, the walnut can kill just about anything. If it is composted first, then applied, then it isn't so bad. It is bad for animals as well. If you put fresh shavings as mulch around trees, you don't want to cover any of the trunk. I don't know why, but it can stunt them. Also, fresh shavings, when composting will pull a lot of nitrogen out of the soil, so you need some thing to replace it, such as manure.

robo hippy

As a much I don't actually think that shavings pull that much nitrogen. If you mix them in, yes for sure. Based on about 5 years of mulching heavily on the yard with wood shavings and not seeing any nitrogen deficiency problems. I also live in a really dry area so the moisture retention is likely more important than anything else

In this case I'd agree its likely the walnut.

Here's a rough explanation of the problem with much adjacent to tree trunks: http://www.coldclimategardening.com/...an-kill-trees/
    You can fix the girdling if its not to far in with root pruning, but I can't see that being a problem in less than a year anyway.

Walnut is very high in tannic acid, I believe, and it has killed my garden in the past. Black walnuts were falling into the garden spot for many years, and unbeknownst to me, what I thought was rich black loam was a highly acidic soil. First crops were OK, but second harvest withered on the vines.

I have used Bradford Pear shavings around a Red Maple sapling with much success to keep it drought resistant. Yes, keep the walnut shavings for a very active composting pile, and add lots of greenery and nitrogen (manure), and lime (sea shells, egg shells, limestone) to help break it down to be less acidic. Good luck saving the trees.

Is it possible that something besides the shavings are are being mixed into the mulch? In my area the city has a mulching plan and residents are invited to take the free mulch. The problem is that often the mulch is made in the same place as the city dumps the traction sand that is swept off the streets after winter is over. This includes the chemical that is used to melt the snow. I don't remember the chemical that is used, (maybe I never knew) but it kills vegetation. In my case, I won't use my turning shavings, because my shop is the same garage where I park my vehicles. The snow/ice/sand/chemical mixture melts off the vehicles at night, and when I sweep up the shavings in the garage it all gets mixed together. Combine that with the walnut shavings I sometimes make, and I really don't want that in my garden.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

DO NOT USE WALNUT..in mulch or as bedding for animals..
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Walnut trees have Juglone. Cherry trees are tolerant of it, but others aren't :

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/ne...jul/070701.htm

I love walnut shavings. A couple of years ago I borrowed a backhoe to move some dirt around my shop, then made a trail through the woods behind it with a campsite at the end for me and my boys to camp and have bonfires. Walnut really helps keep the undergrowth from sprouting back up and makes a quiet path to tread when trying to sneak up on squirrels and deer

Beyond that, walnut shavings are akin to poison for plants and animals both.

Thanks everyone. I wasn't sure about asking your advice since this topic is pretty marginally connected to turning. I am glad I did.
    I had better dig out the mulch ASAP.
    John

Yes Madrone and Arbutus are the same thing, Spanish name (used mostly in the US) and British name (used mostly in BC)
    BR (Before Retirement) I went up to Parksville once or twice a month to work on the test range at Nanoose, and have friends and in-laws across much of the Island. So I am familiar with the area
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Shavings and what you do with them is integral to woodturning as we tend to produce tons of the stuff. I learned the hard way not to use shavings directly from turning. The mulch you get is commercially treated. Green or wet shavings will kill shrubs quite quickly and poison the area for some time. Walnut is beautiful wood, but as a tree it is a killer of most everything around it, and as a mulch it is deadly. I understand that if you use cherry, ash and other non-exotics as compost and let it sit a while, it can be used, but I just have a giant pile for the shavings where nothing is intended to grow, and I let nature take care of it.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

The class of Deep Hollowing I took last year at J C Campbell Folk School, they gathered all of the shavings, except rosewoods, ebony, walnut for bedding for the horses they use for riding and farm work. Walnut and cedar especially are harmful to animals, so don't put in stalls as bedding. But the other wood shavings mixed with horse manure was then mucked out to the compost piles to ferment for a good 6 months, then used in the gardens that they raised vegetables for the cafeteria. You could check with them to see what they'd recommend, and I am sure they would steer you correctly.

Most if not all fresh organic matter should not be used until well rotted. A good compost pile should be turned for air, and a bit od nitrogen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    The class of Deep Hollowing I took last year at J C Campbell Folk School, they gathered all of the shavings, except rosewoods, ebony, walnut for bedding for the horses they use for riding and farm work. Walnut and cedar especially are harmful to animals, so don't put in stalls as bedding. But the other wood shavings mixed with horse manure was then mucked out to the compost piles to ferment for a good 6 months, then used in the gardens that they raised vegetables for the cafeteria. You could check with them to see what they'd recommend, and I am sure they would steer you correctly.
    Are you sure about cedar? I've seen cedar shavings sold in pet stores as bedding material. I've used it some that way myself with no negative results and have used it extensively as garden mulch. I like it in the garden because it really helps keep the critters at bay, but come to think of it my tomatoes never have done well there. I thought it was because they got too much shade, but you have me questioning that now. Not challenging you, but I'd appreciate any more info you have so I can learn.